Submissions open September 4 and close October 25.
For our Fall 2020 issue, Penumbraonline.org is calling for work by Black women authors and artists as part of our Black Voices and Experiences series. We especially welcome work by Black trans women for this issue. We are dedicated to creating a supportive space for Black women’s creative productions across multiple media and genres. We accept fiction, non-fiction, poetry, art, and hybrid literature. Please submit multiple submissions individually. For example, one poem per submission, with five submissions max.
We also accept book/film/tv/media reviews of content related to Black women’s representation and experiences. Please contact Reviews Editor, Hannah Neeley at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about reviews. Review proposals are required for publication. Please include the title of book/film/tv/media you would like to review, 1-2 sentence summary, and short author bio and/or cv.
- Poetry – Five poems allowed, please submit individually, no limits on form or content, max length 2000 words across multiple submissions.
- Fiction – Limit 2000 words total, can be allotted across multiple submissions, please submit multiple pieces individually.
- Nonfiction – Limit 2000 words total, can be allotted across multiple submissions, please submit multiple pieces individually.
- Hybrid – Limit 2000 words total, can be allotted across multiple submissions, please submit multiple pieces individually.
- Art – Five submissions allowed, any media accepted, can include sound and video, submissions should be at the highest resolution possible, at least 200 dpi. Sound and Video length limits are 10 min across multiple submissions. Submissions must include the type of media and date of production.
- Reviews – There is no limit on the date of release or publication. Reviews should be between 600-900 words.
How to Submit
- Visit our Submittable page. You will need to create an account if you do not already have one.
- Select the medium of your submission, either Poetry, Fiction, Non-Fiction, Art, Hybrid, or Reviews.
- Upload your work with the necessary information and click submit!
- Submissions are only accepted through Submittable. There is no fee for submitting. Please contact the following editors for any questions regarding guidelines or general information:
- Faculty Advisor, Dr. Monica Montelongo Flores – email@example.com
- Co-Editor-in-Chief, Art Editor, Jarred White – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Co-Editor-in-Chief, Fiction Editor Jessica Charest – email@example.com
- Poetry Editor, Anthony Stavrianoudakis – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Non-Fiction Editor, Bo Locke – email@example.com
- Hybrid Literature Editor, Monica Gudino – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reviews Editor, Hannah Neeley – email@example.com