This page contains the timeline of activities related to the Fall 2017 cohort of courses in the Active Learning Classroom pilot.
Participants and Schedule
Download participants and schedule (non-UEE courses only)
May 2017: Applications for participation collected and screened.
June 1, 2017: Accepted participants notified.
August 2017: Participants attend an initial meeting to learn how to use the Active Learning Classroom technology.
Fall 2017: Participants join an online Blackboard forum to track issues that may arise and share ideas for student engagement.
- Participants conduct a student evaluation of the ALC during one of their classes (separate from IDEA).
- Participants meet with representatives of Facilities, the Technology and Learning Subcommittee, and OIT to recommend modifications to future active learning classroom projects. This meeting may also include an evaluation survey.
Application Procedure and Timeline
Upon approval of completed applications, acceptance into the pilot will occur on a first-come-first-served basis within maximum hourly limits, as outlined below:
Phase I: Limited Scheduling (May 8-21)
From May 8-21, proposals will be accepted on a first-come-first-served basis for any course that meets the previously stated qualifications and has been scheduled in the following time slots:
- Stateside: 8:00 – 17:00
- UEE: 17:00 – 22:00
In order to ensure a diversity of subject areas using the active learning classroom during the pilot, in this phase each College will be limited to 11.25 hours of room time per week. If a proposal causes a College to exceed 11.25 hours, that proposal will be placed on a waiting list for that time slot as part of Phase II.
Phase II: Open Scheduling (May 22-31)
Beginning May 22, any remaining timeslots in the active learning classroom will be available for reservation by any course, regardless of College (including Extended Education). At the close of Open Scheduling, the remaining time slots will be filled based on the proposals received according to the following order:
- UEE (same timeslots as Phase I)
- Stateside courses submitted during Phase I and placed on the waiting list for a specific time slot. (all timeslots)
- Stateside courses submitted during Phase II proposing full-semester use of the ALC (all timeslots)
- Stateside courses proposing short-term use of the ALC (all timeslots)