New in 2019: a series of workshops and a new certificate program for undergraduate and graduate students to help develop skills at research communication. Participate in three different events in Spring 2019 to receive the Certificate! [pdf flyer]
1. Student Research Competition: Share your research in a 10-minute presentation. Top presenters in each category earn monetary awards ($$), and nominees compete at the statewide CSU Research Competition. Apply with a 5-page summary by 12 noon on Monday, Feb. 18.
*Friday, March 8, 2019 (presentations throughout the day)
2. Powerpoint Presentations: Powerpoint can be a useful tool, but there are many ways a presentation can fall flat. Learn some simple techniques for making effective and beautiful slide presentations.
*Friday, February 22, 1:00-2:15, MSR 130
*Thursday, April 11, 12:30-1:45, MSR 130
3. Voice, Speech, and Presence: Expert advice and practical skills for presenting your research with poise, confidence, and clarity. Guest instructor: Cynthia DeCure (Theater Department).
*Friday, March 1, 1:00-2:15, MSR 130
*Friday, April 12, 3:00-4:15, MSR 130
4. Data Visualization: Effective visualization with graphics and plots makes complex data more accessible, understandable, and usable. Learn principles and practice hands-on examples (bring a laptop, if you have one) from two experts from two PhD students from UC Merced who are experts on this topic: Sabah Ul-Hasan and Nicholas Dove.
*Friday, April 12, 12:30-2:00, MSR 130
5. Designing Research Posters: Posters are a very common way to share your research at professional conferences. We’ll cover essential principles for designing your next poster and giving a great presentation.
*Thursday, May 2, 11:00-12:15, MSR 130
*Friday, May 3, 12:30-1:45, MSR 130