Getting Started

How do I find funding?

ORSP provides services to the University community in identifying funding opportunities.  ORSP subscribes to the Grants Resource Center (GRC) which offers an excellent grant search engine.  If you prefer to have a custom tailored search performed by ORSP, please contact ORSP. 

How do I submit a grant?

The first step for any PI should always be to discuss prospective projects with the appropriate Department Chair and School Dean to obtain school level support before proceeding with the development of a proposal.

When ready to move forward, please contact ORSP to setup a meeting with a Grant and Contract Specialist who will guide you through the process. 

This flowchart gives an overview of the process.

How do I obtain approval for the use of human subjects?

The goal of the University Institutional Review Board, and all University-sanctioned Institutional Review Boards at Stanislaus State, is to promote the ethical conduct of student, staff, and faculty research involving human subjects through safeguarding the rights and welfare of research subjects.  For more information, please visit the UIRB webpage

How do I obtain approval for the use of animals?

The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) provides institutional review of teaching and research involving animals. It was formed to comply with the certification procedures required by federal and other agencies. Specific regulations govern the University, its faculty, staff and students, to maintain compliance with all laws, federal and state, that apply to procurement, transportation, housing, handling, treatment, sanitation, nutrition, experimentation, exhibition, instruction, destruction and disposal of any or all animals. Animal Care and Use Program

How do I get certified to conduct research responsibly?

Stanislaus State offers web-based training in multiple areas of Responsible Conduct and Research compliance. Offered through the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI), students, faculty, and staff can receive free training in Human Research Subjects Protection, Lab Animal Welfare and Responsible Conduct of Research.  Training for investigators is required by most funding agencies, however, ORSP highly encourages all faculty, staff, and students involved with research to complete the training.  Please visit the CITI webpage to create your account and complete your training.

How do I find funding for student research?

ORSP offers several different programs to promote the engagement of students in research, scholarship and creative activity.  Please visit our SERSCA Program page for information on current programs.