This page contains information about using Zoom in a Canvas course. Part 1 covers creating course meetings that are easy for all class members to join. Part 2 covers how to make the meeting recordings available to students.
Prerequisite: Sign-In to Zoom
The Canvas-Zoom connection will not work at all until you have signed in to your Zoom account on the web.
Sign-in location: https://csustan.zoom.us
Part 1: Easily Schedule Course Meetings
Course meetings are meetings where you expect all of your students to attend. The meetings can be one-off events or recurring meetings.
To schedule a meeting:
- Click the Zoom link in the Canvas course menu
- Click Schedule a New Meeting
- Configure the meeting details on the scheduling page.
Later, you can open the meeting by clicking the Start button.
How Students Join Meetings
Students can also use the Zoom link to join the meetings.
- Click the Zoom link in the course navigation menu
- Click Join for the meeting
Later, students will click the Cloud Recordings tab to access any recordings that you have made available ("published").
Part 2: Sharing Meeting Recordings
Sharing any meeting recordings via Canvas involves publishing the recording on the Cloud Recordings page of the Zoom course home page.
Publishing Zoom Recordings
Within Canvas, you must first publish any recording before students will be able to access it from the Cloud Recordings tab in the course.
- Click the Cloud Recordings tab
- Click the Publish switch to the "on" position. The recording is now visible and available to the students.
Zoom Tips & Tricks
Tip: Use Zoom for office hours in several courses
It's not possible to create a meeting using the Canvas integration in one course and have it be available to other courses through the Zoom link. Multi-course meetings like office hours need to be handled differently.
- Use the Zoom desktop application (or your Zoom web account) to create a meeting for office hours.
- Configure the exact recurrence schedule or leave the recurrence as unfixed - simply reuse the meeting when you need to.
- In the meeting settings, check the box for "Waiting Room". This will allow you to admit participants individually.
- After saving the settings, locate the meeting URL on the confirmation page. It will look like: https://csustan.zoom.us/j/##########
- Share the meeting URL with the students. For example, share it as an Announcement in each course or as a custom link in the course navigation (explanation coming soon).
Tip: Record only the streams you really need
Stan State Zoom accounts are configured to record several "streams" of the same meeting - screenshare view, gallery view, audio only, etc. By default, all of the streams are made available when you publish a cloud recording. However, the existence of multiple streams makes it hard for students to access things easily because Zoom does not label them in the Canvas integration.
Option 1: Disable unneeded streams in Zoom settings
- Login to your Zoom account: https://csustan.zoom.us
- On the left, go to Settings > Recording
- Scroll to the Cloud recording section
The following settings are a good minimum for users who are using Zoom for lectures and other basic class meetings. Uncheck any other options to prevent those streams from being recorded.
- Record active speaker with shared screen
- Record an audio only file
- Save chat messages from the meeting
- Audio transcript (this is needed for accessibility purposes)
Click Save to lock-in the new settings.
Option 2: Manually delete unneeded streams from a specific recording without changing your account settings.
- Login to https://csustan.zoom.us/recording to arrive at your recordings home page.
- Click on the title of the recording in question.
- Hover over the stream to be deleted and click the "Trash" icon.
Tip: Set up a reusable meeting space without exact dates and times
You can create a Zoom meeting that can be used whenever you need it, for as long as you needed. It is a "recurring" meeting but the recurrences are not scheduled or fixed.
- When scheduling the meeting, check the box for Recurring meeting.
- In the Recurrence dropdown menu, choose "No fixed time".
Share the meeting URL with any participants who need it.
Start the meeting by click the Start button in your Zoom account, in the Recurring Meetings area of your meeting list.