Flipgrid in Canvas
Flipgrid is a free video discussion tool that allows for threaded video-based discussions in your Canvas course.
- Canvas Access Control - Only students in your Canvas course can access your connected Grids.
- Students can still join on mobile but must start within the Canvas app.
- SpeedGrader - Add a Flipgrid Topic for your Canvas Assignment. Student videos automatically show up in Speedgrader.
- BYOD Anywhere, Anytime - As long as students click the green + within Canvas, they can record using any computer or using one of the free Flipgrid iOS and Android apps.
- Students do not need FlipGrid accounts; only instructors do.
NOTE: Flipgrid recordings cannot be made in the Safari browser. Try Chrome, Firefox, or Edge.
Enabling Flipgrid in a Canvas Course
Part I – Create Flipgrid Account & Grid
- www.flipgrid.com - Flipgrid accounts are completely free!
- Create a new "grid" to hold all the discussion activities you will do in a specific course.
Part II – Connect Grid to Canvas Course
Please read the How to integrate Flipgrid tutorial to learn how to link your new grid with your Canvas course. This is necessary to enable your Flipgrid topics to be viewable by your students.
Part III – Use Flipgrid
Use as a graded assignment by specifying Flipgrid as the External Tool submission type in a Canvas Assignment.
- In a Canvas course, create a new assignment
- Specify External Tool as the Submission Type for the assignment
- Find and click FlipGrid in the list of available tools.
- Recommended: check the box to open the link in a new tab
- Click Save
- Click the newly added assignment link (and click to open the new tab if necessary)
- Record your prompt video for the Topic or add a piece of media as the prompt
- In the Actions menu for the Topic, click "Edit Topic"
- Change any of the settings for the topic to match the kind of experience you need.
Flipgrid Support Resources
Flipgrid is a video discussion tool that is supported by Flipgrid's tech support. Please see the instructions and support below.