Flipgrid in Canvas
Flipgrid is a free video discussion service ("App") that can connect to Canvas, enabling threaded video-based assignments in your Canvas course. Flipgrid is not a built-in tool of Canvas.
- Canvas Access Control - Only students in your Canvas course can access your connected Grids.
- Students can still join on mobile but must start within the Canvas app.
- SpeedGrader - Add a Flipgrid Topic for your Canvas Assignment. Student videos automatically show up in Speedgrader.
- BYOD Anywhere, Anytime - As long as students click the green + within Canvas, they can record using any computer or using one of the free Flipgrid iOS and Android apps.
- Students do not need FlipGrid accounts; only instructors do.
NOTE: Flipgrid recordings cannot be made in the Safari browser. Try Chrome, Firefox, or Edge.
Enabling Flipgrid in a Canvas Course
NOTE: Integrate Flipgrid if you are planning to do a graded assignment using Flipgrid. It's perfect acceptable to use Flipgrid in ungraded activities. Simply set up your group and discussion topic, and then share the join code in your course like any other URL.
Part I – Create Flipgrid Account
- www.flipgrid.com - Flipgrid accounts are completely free.
Part II – Connect FlipGrid to Canvas Course
Please read the How to integrate Flipgrid tutorial to learn how to link your Flipgrid account to a Canvas course. This is necessary to use Flipgrid for a graded assignment.
Part III – Use Flipgrid
Use as a graded assignment by specifying Flipgrid as the External Tool submission type in a Canvas Assignment.
- In a Canvas course, create a new assignment
- NOTE: Flipgrid assignments can only have a single, total point value even if you are requiring students to make multiple recordings in the topic. When grading, you will provide a score for the student's total performance in the activity.
- Specify External Tool as the Submission Type for the assignment
- Find and click FlipGrid in the list of available tools.
- Recommended: check the box to open the link in a new tab!
- Click Save
- Click the newly added assignment link. The Flipgrid Topic will be created and you arrive at the Topic's home page.
- In the Actions menu for the Topic, choose "Edit Topic".
- Review the settings of the Topic, such as maximum recording length, comment moderation, adding prompt materials, etc.
- Click Update Topic to save any changes.
- Make your assignment link available in Canvas.
To record their responses, students simply click the assignment link in Canvas and follow the prompts to record and save their responses.
Part IV – Grade Submissions
Launch SpeedGrader to review and grade the student submissions. The videos will be visible in the SpeedGrader window.
Flipgrid Support Resources
Flipgrid is a video discussion tool that is supported by Flipgrid's tech support. Please see the instructions and support below.
- Getting Started with Flipgrid (does not cover Canvas)
- Using Flipgrid as an Assignment and Grading in Canvas
- Flipgrid Help Center