The Canvas Support Team is dedicated to maintaining a secure and stable environment that reflects current updates, patches, and upgrades.
Instructure preforms monthly updates/upgrades/patches on the second Saturday. Release notes are available online.
All requested enhancements must adhere to the security, release, and privacy standards in order to be included in the Canvas environment. They should also be mature and under active development. Ideally, campus-implemented plugins would provide benefit and functionality to the majority of Canvas instructors and students.
Enhancement requests are reviewed by the Canvas Support Team, which consists of Instructional Designers, Instructors, Application Administrators, and Programmers. Requests will be reviewed and evaluated during the established quarterly planning cycles, and requests that are approved will be scheduled for implementation depending on the resources available. Please fill out the Microsoft form below to submit your request.
Enhancement Request Process
Complete the Enhancement Request form (see link at bottom of page).
If the Enhancement Request meets the below criteria, the OAT staff and the requester will complete the Accessibility and Security Acquisition forms. All requested applications must meet the accessibity and security standards. This process can take three to four weeks. If the application does not meet these standards, it will not be added into Canvas.
The requested application will be reviewed by the OAT staff and will be scheduled for implementation depending on the resources available.
Request Evaluation Considerations
Educational Value Considerations
- Would the feature assist in improving student success?
- Would the feature align with Stan State's Strategic Imperatives?
- Would the feature improve Canvas's Accessibility?
- Would the feature provide value to a large percent of the Canvas community?
- How desirable is the feature, for students, for faculty, for everyone (Must have, Should have, Could have, Would like to have)?
- In what ways does this feature provide value or improve on the features that already exist?
- Will there be significant documentation and/or support staff training required to support this feature request?
- Is there a significant risk that implementing this feature will create a large number of support requests, confused users, or complaints?
- When problems arise with this feature, do we have access to resources, or the skills, to adequately troubleshoot and resolve the issue?
- Would the plugin meet the technical requirements for implementation?
- Are additional resources needed, if so what are they? (equipment and/or people)
- Is it mature, prevalent, and under active development?
- What types of vender costs or maintenance is associated with implementing this feature?
- For example, are there license requirements or costs?
- Will this feature prevent us from upgrading the system in an expedient manner?
- Would this feature introduce incompatibilities with other system components?
- What additional technical risk is involved with implementing this plugin?
- What are the up-front and on-going resource costs associated with implementing or not implementing this plugin?
Documented requests cab be submitted to OAT staff via the online form, below. Please keep in mind that requests are reviewed and evaluated based on the policies and procedures listed above.