Professor of Spanish
Spanish Linguistics, History of Romance Languages, Applied Linguistics, Contrastive Language Structures, Spanish Dialectology, Italian.
University of Wisconsin, Madison, Ph.D. in Spanish; Doctoral Minor: Italian, 1997,
The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, Master of Arts in Spanish, 1989,
Dominican University, San Rafael, California, 1987
“Study and Transcription of Enrique de Villena’s Translation of Infierno of Dante’s Divine Comedy”
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, STANISLAUS
Professor of Spanish 2010-present; Associate Professor of Spanish 2004-2010; Assistant Professor of Spanish 2000-2004; Spanish, all levels (language, linguistics, second language acquisition); Elementary Italian; Spanish Program Assessment Coordinator; Primary author of Academic Program Review; Director of Annual Spanish Symposium; Coordinate pedagogical workshops for Program of Modern Languages and Foreign Language Association of Central California (FLACC); Vice-President of FLACC; Co-authored Proficiency Exam Test-Bank; Major Course Reviewer for CSU; Directed Honors’ Thesis; Faculty Advisor for California Foreign Language Project (CFLP); Faculty Advisor for Spanish Club; Department representative for Committee on California Foreign Language Education; Single-Subject Credential Advisor; Academic Advisor; Member of California Language Teachers’ Association.
Committees: Chair of the Subject Matter Proficiency; Chair of Faculty Residency Board; Committee on Committee; Graduate Assessment; General Education Advisory for CSU; Faculty Senate; Curriculum and Resources; Turlock City Arts; Department Search; College Assessment; Assessment of Student Learning Subcommittee of UEPC; Assessment Council of General Education; Faculty in Residence Advisory Board; Student Petitions; Bilingual Language Assessment; California State University Foreign Language Council; Appeals; Spanish Assessment Coordinator.
IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY
Assistant Professor of Spanish / Italian 1998-2000 (May); Spanish, all levels (language, composition, conversation); Spanish Linguistics & Language Methodology, Beginning, Intermediate & Advanced Spanish, Spanish Dialectology, Spanish for Native speakers; Coordinated all Beginning and Intermediate Spanish sections; Committees: Honor’s Semester in Florence, Committee on Committees, Development, Search; Linguistics Honor Club.
- Linguistic Study and Critical Edition of a Fifteenth-century Translation of Dante's Divina Comedia, Attributed to Enrique de Villena published at Juan de la Cuesta- Hispanic Monographs, Fall 2010.
- “Wise Tolerance for Linguistic Diversity” published in Faculty Voices: Sharing our Research, volume 7, Spring 2010.
- “Un enfoque memético de la Gacería” published in Crítica Hispánica, vol. 26, pgs. 128-143, Fall 2004.
- “La gacería y el lunfardo: hacia una teoría memética de las variedades lingüísticas” published in Revista de Estudios Hispanicos, vol. 18, pgs. 37-54, Spring 2004.
- “Blurring Boundaries” published in Faculty Voices: Sharing our Philosophies of Teaching, vol. 2, pgs. 9-10, Spring 2004.
- “Nuevos datos sobre el léxico español” published in Ojáncano: Revista de literatura española, vol. 23, pgs. 77-86, Spring 2003.
- “The XVc Translation of the Divine Comedy: A Product of Dictation?” published inMediaevalia, vol. 24, pgs. 225-241, Fall 2003.
- “Teaching Medieval Translation Culture of Fifteenth-century Spain” published in Studies in Medieval and Renaissance Teaching, Spring Vol., 2000.
- “A Lexical Contribution from Fifteenth-Century Spanish Translation of the Divine Comedy” published in Romance Notes, May, 2000.
- “The Asymmetrical Role of Metaphony in Italian Dialects” published in Italian Culture, vol. XVI, 1999.
- “Variant Denotations of Spanish Originating from Gacería” (Article in progress)
Research Papers Presented at Conferences
- “Contrastando la traducción medieval y moderna” presented at the Foreign Language Association Conference of Northern California at San Francisco State University, November, 2009.
- “Nuevos datos sobre la traducción española medieval y moderna y su encaje en la enseñanza de la linguística española”, presented at El congreso intercontinental XXIX Asamblea, ALDEEU (Asociación de Licenciados y Doctorados Españoles en Estados Unidos), in Madrid, Spain, June, 2009.
- “A comparison of Medieval and Modern Translation Tendencies” presented in Sacramento, at California Language Teachers’ Conference in February, 2009.
- “El léxico medieval español y sus influencias en el moderno” presented in Orange County, at California Language Teachers’ Conference in March, 2008.
- “Un análisis lingüístico del español de California y sus implicaciones pedagógicas” presented at Santa Clara University, California, at California Language Teachers’ Conference in April, 2007.
- “¿Qué tiene que ver la Gacería con el español de California?” presented at the 15th Annual Graduate and Professional Symposium on Hispanic and Luso-Brazilian Literature, Language, and Culture at the University of Arizona, February, 2005.
- “Language Learning as a Model for Learning in General” presented at the International Network of Philosophies of Education (INPE) Biennial Conference at the Universidad Complutense Madrid, Spain, August, 2004.
- “A Historical Analysis of Medieval Spanish Manuscript Culture” presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society for Spanish and Portuguese Studies” at University of California, Los Angeles, April, 2004.
- “Toward an Understanding of Standard versus Sub-standard Spanish” presented at the California Language Teaching Association (CLTA) Conference in Monterey, California, April, 2004.
- “Examining Language Change through the Gacería dialect of Spain” presented at the Fourteenth Annual Symposium on Hispanic and Luso-Brazilian Literature, Language and Culture at the University of Arizona, February, 2004.
- “Cultural Conditions Responsible in the Forming of the Spanish Language” presented at the California Language Teaching Association (CLTA) Conference in Sacramento, California, April, 2003.
- “Linguistics Session” chaired at the Pacific Ancient & Modern Language Association (PAMLA) Conference at Western Washington University in Bellingham, Washington, November, 2002.
- “An Analysis of Extra-linguistic Factors in Considering Language Classification and Standards” presented at the California Language Teaching Association (CLTA) Conference in Long Beach, California, April, 2002.
- “New Data on the Gacería Dialect of Spain” presented at the Ancient & Modern Language Association at Santa Clara University, November, 2001.
- “Towards Effectively Teaching Multiple Section and Team Taught Courses” presented at Lilly-West Conference on College & University Teaching (2001: A Teaching><Learning Odyssey), March, 2001.
- “Using Realia in the Spanish Classroom: An Activities Guide” presented at The Iowa Foreign Language Association Conference, October, 2000.
- “An Analysis of Spanish Translation Methods” presented at XII Annual Medieval Conference, Ball State University, Indiana, October, 1999.
- “Spanish as a Second Language in the United States and its Implications in the Classroom” presented at The Iowa Foreign Language Association Conference, October, 1999.
- “Spanish Communication through Hispanic Culture: Food in the Hispanic World” presented at The Iowa Foreign Language Association Conference, October 1998.
- Moderated conference session, “Practically Painless Practice” at The Iowa Foreign Language Association Conference, October 1998.
- “Nuevos datos sobre el léxico español medieval” presented at the Coloquio Internacional VII Jornadas Medievales, Universidad Autónoma de México, México, D.F., September, 1998.
- “Teaching Medieval Translation Tendencies and Ideas of Authorship through a Fifteenth-century Spanish Translation of the Divina Commedia” presented at Teaching the Middle Ages at Emporia State University, Emporia, Kansas, September, 1998.
- “Lexical Findings from the Fifteenth-century Spanish Translation of Dante’s Divine Comedy” presented at the 22nd Annual Mid-America Medieval Association, University of Kansas, Lawrence, February, 1998.
- “Detecting Dialectalisms in Spanish” invited to present paper by the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures at Wayne State University, February, 1996.
- “Dialect Variants of the Clitic Pronouns in Spanish” invited to present paper by the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures, Wake Forest University, Novermber 1995.
- “El honor villanesco en algunas obras claves del Siglo de Oro” presented at the Hispanic Literatures Conference at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, October, 1995.
Directorship & Participation in Teaching Workshops
- Directed Poetry reading Oda a Turlock at California State University, Stanislaus, 2010.
- Directed and coordinated Simposio anual de estudiantes de español at University of California, Stanislaus, Spring 2006, 2007, 2009.
- Delivered workshop “Los estandares nuevos de la escuela secundaria del español e italiano en California” at Luther Burbank High School, February 2009.
- Delivered workshop ¿Qué tiene que ver la tecnología en la enseñanza del español intermedio? At CSU, Monterey Bay, April 2007.
- Participated in “Distinguish Yourself, Get a Fulbright” at CSUS, sponsored by Faculty Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, Spring 2007.
- Participated in “La enseñanza del español a los anglo-hablantes” at the Universidad SEK, Segovia, Spain in July, 2005, 2006.
- Directed and Implemented pedagogical workshops for Secondary and Post Secondary Educators in April 2004, March 2003, October 2002, October 2001 through the Department of Modern Languages and Foreign Language Association of Central California (FLACC).
- Participated in the “Digital Stream Conference” at CSU, Monterey Bay held in March, 2003.
- Participated in the “Virtual Language Lab Technology Symposium” which aims to support and promote language learning, at San Diego State University in February, 2003.
- Serve as liaison between the Foreign Language Education Council and CSUS-Department of Modern Languages in attending regional teaching meetings, 2003.
- Represent Department of Modern Languages for the California State University Foreign Language Council; a two-year term with bi-yearly meetings at San Diego State University, April, 2001; Long Beach April, 2001.
- Participated in the SLI Workshop “Evaluating Multi-media in the Classroom” at Sonoma State University, April, 2001.
- Participated in the 6th Annual Iowa State Faculty Conference, “ISU: An Education I Institution?” at Grinnell College sponsored by the Center for Teaching Excellence, March 1998.
- “Elementary Foreign Language Program” (National K-12FLRC and Iowa Network for Early Language Learning) March, 1998.
- Participated in spring 1998 in series of Workshops sponsored by the Center for Teaching Excellence, Iowa State University:
- Faculty Forum “Helping Students Think Outside the Box”
- “A Model for Faculty Learning that Results in More Student Learning”
- “Advisor’s Exchange”
- “What’s All This Talk about Learning Communities”
- “Doing What’s Right: Ethics and Legality in the Classroom”
- Participated in yearly meetings and weekend retreats for “Linguistics Cross-Disciplinary Program in Linguistics” at Iowa State University in 1997-98.
- Participated in yearly “Project Learn: Learning Enhancement Action / Resource Network” at Iowa State University, 1997-98.
Academic Awards & Service
- President’s Travel Funding of Scholarly Research Grant, 2011
- Service Learning Grant, 2010, 2011
- Applied for a Faculty Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity Grant (RSCA), AY 09-10
- Faculty Center’s Instructional Support Mini-Grant, Fall 2009
- Dean’s Teaching Initiative Grant, Spring 2009
- Recommended (no funds) for Faculty Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity Grant (RSCA), Fall 08
- Sabbatical Leave, Spring 2008
- Dean’s Teaching Initiative Grant, Fall 2008
- Dean’s Teaching Initiative Grant, Fall 2007
- Faculty Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity Grant Fall 2007
- Faculty Instructional Grant, Fall 2007
- Faculty Instructional Grant, Fall 2006
- Faculty Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity Grant, Fall 2006
- Faculty Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity Grant, Fall 2005
- Faculty Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity Grant, Fall 2003
- Dean’s Teaching Initiative Grant, Spring ‘03
- Academic & Human Resources Travel Grant, Spring ‘02
- Faculty Center’s Instructional Support Mini-Grant, Spring ‘01
- Dean’s Teaching Initiative Grant, Spring ‘01
- Dean’s Teaching Initiative Grant, Fall’01
- University Research Projects Grants, Spring ‘99
- Honored Speaker / Guest at the CSUS, Annual Chicano / Latino Commencement, 2002, 2003, 2007.
- “Inspirational Professor Award” and honored at ISU Annual Student-Scholars and Leaders Recognition Ceremony and the Academic Excellence Banquet, 1998.
- “Junior Faculty Instructional Award, Spring 2000.
- Professional Recognition:
Coordinator for Department of Modern Languages and Foreign Language Association of Central California (FLACC) Pedagogical workshop series; Vice-President of FLACC; Faculty Advisor of California Foreign Language Project (CFLP); Director of Modern Language’s Club; Department representative for Committee on California Foreign Language Educator; Member of California Language Teachers’ Association.