These are links to the most common internet resources for Institutional Research:
Association of Institutional Research (AIR), a national professional organization that supports members in their efforts to continuously improve the practice of institutional research for postsecondary planning, management and operations and to further develop and promote the institutional research profession.
- Other Online Resources for Institutional Research: A comprehensive and usefully organized collection of net resources for IR professionals
California Association of Institutional Research (CAIR), is provides a forum for the dissemination of information and interchange of ideas on problems of common interest in the field of institutional research in California institutions of postsecondary education.
CSU Office of the Chancellor, Analytic Studies, is responsible for compiling student data from the 23 campuses of the California State University and disseminating statistical information about applications received, new enrollments, continuing enrollments, and degrees conferred.
Higher Education Statistics
Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, is the leading typology of American colleges and universities. It is the framework in which institutional diversity in U.S. higher education is commonly described. Most of the Carnegie Foundation's higher education projects rely on the Classification to ensure a representative selection of participating individuals and institutions.
Common Data Set Exchange, purpose is two-fold: (1) to facilitate online exchanges of CDS data (a well-defined set of standard data items constructed with the collaboration of four major publishers: the College Board, Peterson's, U.S. News & World Report, and Wintergreen/ Orchard House); and (2) to provide useful and timely peer analyses for its members.
National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), located within the U.S. Department of Education and the Institute of Education Sciences, is the primary federal entity for collecting and analyzing data related to education.
- Integrated Postsecondary Education System (IPEDS), established as the core postsecondary education data collection program for NCES, IPEDS is a single, comprehensive system designed to encompass all institutions and educational organizations whose primary purpose is to provide postsecondary education.
- Mini-Digest of Education Statistics, 2009, publication is a compilation of statistical information covering the broad field of American education from K - graduate school.
- Projections of Education Statistics to 2019, report provides projections for key education statistics, including enrollment, graduates, teachers, and expenditures in elementary and secondary public and private schools.
- The Condition of Education Report (COE), is a congressionally mandated annual report that summarizes important developments and trends in education using the latest available statistics.
The Chronicle of Higher Education, is the major news service in the U.S. academic world.
Demographic and Trend Data
Bureau of Labor Statistics Data (BLS), principal fact-finding agency for the Federal Government in the broad field of labor economics and statistics.
- Consumer Price Indexes Home Page, monthly data on changes in the prices paid by urban consumers for a representative basket of goods and services.
- Employment Projections Home Page, information about the labor market for the Nation as a whole for 10 years in the future.
Statistical Abstract of the U.S., is the authoritative and comprehensive summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States.