GROW at the Writing Center
Research shows that students who use the Writing Center are more successful.
Top 5 Myths about the Writing Center
- The Writing Center is for stupid people. This is simply not true. In fact, a good portion of people who come to the Writing Center are very successful writers. Successful writers understand that there is always room to get better.
- The Writing Center is for (English as Second Language) students. It is true that a lot of students who come to the Writing Center are ESL students, but many are not as well. Top students understand the additional work that it takes to be a top student, and using the Writing Center is time well spent.
- The Writing Center is only for students in English. Tutors can help you with your writing no matter what discipline you are writing for. In fact, it is another misconception that all tutors are English majors. We have writing tutors with all different backgrounds.
- I can’t go to the Writing Center unless I have a draft. Tutors are here to help you at any stage of the process. They can help you understand and assignment and get started.
- The Writing Center is for proofreading your work. Tutors are not here to edit your work. Although they will work alongside you in assisting the editing of your writing they will not do it for you. Furthermore, tutors are here to assist with much more than just proofreading. They can help you understand assignments, generate ideas, and develop organization and focus to name a few.
How to Get Help
To schedule an appointment, come to the Writing Center and complete an application. Within a couple days, you will be scheduled for a weekly appointment with a tutor. You and your tutor will develop priorities for improving your writing over a period of time. Your weekly appointment will be reserved for you until you indicate that you no longer wish to continue.
Same Day Tutoring
Same Day Tutoring is provided on a first-come, first-served basis. You can sign up at the Writing Center front desk or by calling the center after 9:00 each day for available hours. Same Day tutoring sessions are usually 25 minutes. Appointments will be cancelled and reassigned if you arrive more than five minutes lat. You may request one session per day, up to two per week.
Spring 2015 Walk-In Hours
Monday: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Thursday: 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.