We understand that the shift to virtual instruction has disrupted your educational experience this semester. In an effort to reduce any adverse effects on your academic progress, we are offering you the flexibility to choose different grading options for fall 2020. Specifically, for any undergraduate letter-graded class, you may change your grading option to credit/no credit (CR/NC). We hope that this will help you focus on successfully completing the semester in these unforeseen and challenging circumstances.
Options for Final Grade in each of Your Courses
You are currently enrolled in the class for a letter grade
- Option 1: Keep the default letter grade* (A, B, C, D, F)
- Option 2: Choose the CR/NC option**
You are currently enrolled in the class for Credit/No Credit and the course included the option of a letter grade
- Option 1: Keep your original choice of CR / NC
- Option 2: Change to the letter grade option (A, B, C, D, F)
You are currently enrolled in the class for CR/NC and the course did not include the option of a letter grade
- No change is possible for this course
* This includes any plus or minus grades.
** Note: This choice is open to you even if your degree program requires the course to be completed for a letter grade (the university will approve exceptions to these rules for fall 2020 coursework and include a note to this effect on your transcript).
How to Change Your Grading Option or Withdraw
- Beginning Wednesday, November 4, you may make this change through your myStanState student portal (View Plain Text Instructions | Instructions with Screenshots.pdf). You may take no action or select a different option for each class.
- The deadline to change your option is Monday, November 30.
- You may withdraw from any course in which you are enrolled in fall 2020, using the Course-University Withdrawal Form. This will result in a grade of W for the course on your transcript; this grade does not count in the calculation of your GPA, nor does a grade of NC. The deadline to submit the Withdrawal Form is also Monday, November 30.
Before You Decide on a Grading Option
- If you are uncertain about the grading option in any of your courses, review your syllabi or ask your instructor.
- All courses will still count toward your graduation requirements for CR grades.
- Any Credit/No Credit course from this semester will not count against the current limits on the number of Credit/No Credit courses you can take.
- Note that withdrawing from a course could impact your financial aid. Contact a financial aid counselor regarding your specific circumstances related to financial aid. There is a withdrawal limit of 18 units.
- Consult with your instructor or major faculty advisor if you are:
- Planning to apply for graduate school or a post-graduate fellowship
- Planning to enter a career field where employers consider grades
- In a program with special accreditation or licensure requirements
- Consult with your athletics advisor if you are a student-athlete
- Consult with the Veterans Affairs Coordinator if you are a veteran
How to Get Help
You are not alone in making this decision! To help you make an informed choice about selecting your grading options, reach out to your instructor or major faculty advisor, or to the appropriate office:
- Undeclared, Pre-Nursing, and Probation students: Academic Success Center
- Stockton Advising
- Special Programs (i.e. EOP, SSS, Athletics, Housing): Contact your assigned staff advisor
- International students: Email Mary Hunter
- Student-Athletes: Email Katherine Wood or Amanda Flores
- Veterans: Email Chicago Houdek
Staff are available via remote methods Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please include your Student ID number in any messages you send to these offices.
The faculty and staff and Stan State are committed to lessening the impacts of COVID-19 on students and are here to support you through these very uncertain times.
How to Change your fall 2020 Grading Option
- Log into your MyStanState Student Center
- Click on the “Enroll” link
- Select the 2020 fall term and click Continue
- Select the “EDIT” link towards the top of the page
- Using the dropdown, select the course to be updated and click “Proceed to Step 2 of 3”
- In the middle of the page, use the drop-down next to “Grading” to select the Grading Option you would like.
- Once you select your option, click “Next”
- Verify the information is correct and click “Finish Editing”
- If a green checkmark appears, the Grading Option has been updated. If a red “X” appears, check the message. If you can correct the error, do so. If you cannot correct the error, email the Registrar’s office at firstname.lastname@example.org.