Nuts & Bolts


When you are first hired at Stanislaus State, the array of the services, offices, and campus policies may seem to bit bewildering. Even seasoned faculty may be unaware of some of the standard procedures and resources on campus. Whether you are concerned about fundamental issues, such as such cashing a check, getting an office key, or finding out when you are paid, check the Survival Guide, or ask your department chair.

Student Health Center

The Student Health Center offers a comprehensive range of primary care services and health education programs to all registered students. Totally funded through the mandatory health fee and nationally accredited through the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC), the Student Health Center endeavors to provide high-quality, convenient, affordable, personalized and confidential health care. Over 3⁄4 of our patients are seen on the same day as the request for service and our patient satisfaction rating continually ranks among the top 1or 2 of all CSU campus health centers. Typically, there are no to minimal charges for office visits. Medications and diagnostic tests (x-rays, laboratory tests, EKG's) are at markedly reduced prices.

A variety of health care professionals such as doctors, nurse practitioners, nurses, medical assistants, pharmacists, clinical laboratory scientists, health educators, and medical clerical personnel staff both the Health Center and the satellite clinic in Stockton. In caring for the whole student, the staff strives to enhance students' physical and emotional wellness to contribute to their academic and career success. Through our programs, services and developmental approach to health care, we envision a complimentary role with faculty in educating and promoting an optimal level of wellness on campus.

Specific services include:

Preventive Services

  • Immunizations and TB screening
  • Men's and women's health (physicals, pap smears)
  • Cholesterol screening
  • Blood pressure monitoring

Health Education and Wellness Programs Primary Medical Care Services 

  • Treatment of illness and injury
  • Minor office surgery

On-site Laboratory and Pharmacy Services

  • Low prices - best deal on the Turlock campus!

Supplemental Student Health Insurance

  • A low-cost group policy to cover major accidents, illnesses or referrals to specialists for conditions not within the scope of health center personnel
  • Provisions are available for family and dependent coverage

Opportunities for Student Involvement

  • Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC)
  • Peer Health Advocate

Stockton Satellite Clinic

  • Limited services and hours (call (209) 467-5496 for latest information)
  • Stockton students are eligible for all services at the Turlock clinic

Because the Health Center is totally funded by students, clinical services to faculty and staff are very limited. We are able to provide first aid services for any on-campus injuries or illnesses, influenza ("flu") vaccines, and periodic cholesterol and diabetes screening clinics at a nominal charge.

For more information, visit our website at: or call our office at (209) 667- 3396.

Payroll Information

Academic employees are paid on the last day of the pay period. This is not necessarily the last calendar workday of the month. Refer to the state controller's Web site,, (click on "State Employee"), or to the "Calendar for College Year," available from Human Resources for scheduled paydays. Paychecks are available in departmental offices after 3 p.m.

Electronic direct deposit is also available. General information, enrollment forms, and direct deposit bank posting dates are posted on the state controller's Web site (click on "State Employee"). Forms are also available in the Payroll and Human Resources offices on campus at Ext. 3310 or Ext. 3351. Direct deposit notifications are distributed in the same manner as monthly paychecks.

To determine your net (take home) pay, download the "Paycheck Calculator" from the state controller's Web site (click on "State Employee"). In addition to calculating take home pay, this is a useful tool for previewing the effect on net pay of changes in tax exemptions or various tax-sheltered deduction options. Before using the Calculator, have your statement or earnings available. Mirror your statement and follow the instructions at the bottom of the Excel spreadsheet. For further assistance, contact the Payroll Office for help in determining the appropriate codes to enter into the paycheck calculator.

W-2 Forms will be mailed in mid-January of each year to the home address you have on file in Human Resources. The last regular check of the tax year is always the November pay period, released at the end of November. December pay, released at the end of December, will be dated January and is the first payment of the new tax year.

Salary Schedule

Salaries are negotiated through collective bargaining between the CSU Board of Trustees and the California Faculty Association. The salary ranges are the same throughout the CSU for equivalent levels. A copy of the salary scheduled can be found in the CFA-CSU Agreement. For the most recent schedule, call Human Resources at Ext. 3351, or view the schedule on the Web site at Click on "Faculty Personnel Policies" then "Salary Schedule."


Your department chair will make a request for office space to the Office of the Associate Vice President for Faculty Affairs at Ext. 3392, which will then assign office space and make arrangements for furniture. Your department will request phone lines and computer lines from the Office of Information Technology.


Temporary Disability

Faculty who need temporary disability accommodations should talk to his/her Department's chair and Human Resources Office, Ext. 3351.

Campus Crime Statistics

The annual Campus Security Report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Stanislaus State, and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this report on the web at: To request a printed copy telephone (209) 667-3572, Fax: (209) 667-3104, or e-mail: Information regarding Campus Security Reports at other locations can be found on the web at:

Campus Security Authorities

You are a Campus Security Authority. Campus Security Authorities are required to report certain criminal offenses as outlined by federal law. According to federal law, specifically The Student Right to Know and Campus Security Act 1990 (recently re-named the Clery Act), the University is required to report “statistics concerning the occurrence of certain criminal offenses reported to the local police agency or any official of the institution who is defined as “Campus Security Authority.” The definition of “Campus Security Authority,” according to the federal law, is as follows: “An official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including, but not limited to, student housing, student discipline, and campus judicial proceedings.” For example, a dean of students who oversees student housing, a student center, or student extra-curricular activities, has significant responsibility for student and campus activities. Similarly, a director of athletics, team coach, and faculty advisor to a student group also has significant responsibility for student and campus activities. A single teaching faculty member is unlikely to have significant responsibility for student and campus activities, except when serving as an advisor to a student group. A physician in a campus health center or a counselor in a counseling center whose only responsibility is to provide care to students are unlikely to have significant responsibility for student and campus activities. The criminal offenses that the University is required to report are murder/ non-negligent manslaughter, negligent manslaughter, sex offenses (forcible and non-forcible), robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, motor vehicle theft, arson, liquor law violations, drug violations and/or illegal weapons possession. The University is required to report offenses that occur on campus, in residence facilities, in non-campus property and on public property. If you are aware of any crimes that occurred on campus and that were NOT reported to the University Police, please contact Kellie Marshall; Clery & Compliance Director at 667-3572 to receive the proper reporting forms.

Sexual Assault

Every member and organization of the university community should be aware that all sexual assaults are prohibited by state law, and university protocol. In addition to criminal prosecution, the university may impose sanctions against students, student organizations, or faculty-staff members identified as committing or participating in sexual assaults. The university will vigorously prosecute and discipline persons identified as responsible for sexual assault. Immediate emergency response may be obtained by calling the University Police from an on-campus Emergency Blue Light Telephone, or by dialing 911 on any university campus telephone. For more information related to sexual assault prevention and adjudication on campus go the Title IX website at:

Rape Aggression Defensive Tactics Course

University Police Services offers a 12-hour hands-on self-defense course. The objective of this course is to develop and enhance options of self-defense so they may become viable considerations for a person who is attacked. To sign up for this course, contact University Police Services at 667-3114.

Reporting Crimes

Immediate emergency response may be obtained by calling the University Police from an on-campus Emergency Blue Light Telephone, or by dialing 911 on any university campus telephone. You may also request a university police officer by calling University Police Services at Ext. 3114. Students residing in on-campus housing also may report crimes to the on-duty resident adviser, who will ensure the immediate notification of the university police. At Stanislaus State–Stockton, dial 911 in an emergency for the Stockton Police Department, and for non-emergency dial (209) 993-3469 for Securitas Security personnel.


Anyone parking a vehicle on campus must pay a parking fee and display a parking permit. Parking permits are available through Annual parking permits are available through payroll deduction and are valid July 1 through June 30. A new permit is required on or before each July 1. Also available are semester and term parking permits. Daily permits are available from dispensers located at entrances to various parking lots. Lost or stolen decals are replaceable for a small fee. Contact the University Police Department at Ext. 3114. Handicapped parking is available and requires that a handicapped placard be displayed in addition to a valid Stanislaus State parking permit. This allows for handicapped parking in any student, faculty, or staff area. If you have any questions about parking, contact University Police Services at Ext. 3114. For more parking information, visit the campus parking website,

Safety Shuttles

UPD’s Safety Shuttle program has been running since the early 1990’s. We provide approximately 4,000 shuttle rides each year to our Warrior community. To request a shuttle ride, call 667-3114, Monday- Thursday, 6pm-Midnight and Fridays 6pm-11pm during semesters. At any time, if you fear for your safety and shuttles are not available, call us to request safety personnel to escort you from your car or building 24/7 or use a blue light phone.

Personal Safety Escorts

The University Police Department can provide personal safety escorts to/from campus locations 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if you fear for your safety. Call 209-667-3114 or use an Emergency Blue Light Phone.

Defensive Driver Training

To operate a State motor vehicle or privately owned vehicle on State business, you must possess a valid California Driver’s License, and complete the online Defensive Driver course. You may access the Defensive Driver course at:

To use a privately owned vehicle for university business, in addition to the above mentioned requirements you must complete Form
261: Please note specific requirements listed on the Form 261. Contact Travel Services at Ext.3974 or see the website at for any further information as needed.

Photo I.D. Card

You can get a Stanislaus State I.D. card (Warrior Card) in the Office of Warrior Card Services located in Library LX25. Cards are also available at the University Student Union information desk. Bring a photo I.D., your CMS ID number, and proof of employment (letter of appointment). There is a $5 for issuing a Warrior ID card, but this fee is waived if the holder has a previous California State University, Stanislaus faculty or staff ID. The Warrior Card also serves as your library card, pass to the Fitness Center, and a declining balance debit card for purchases on-campus and with select local merchants. For full Warrior card information and declining balance activation visit the Warrior Card web site accessible via the Stanislaus State home page or at

Student Recreation Complex

Located on the east side of campus, the Student Recreation Complex (SRC) offers a variety of activities for your personal fitness needs. The SRC has an aerobics dance room for the ASI offered classes, a personal fitness room for your cardio and weight training needs, a multi-sport gymnasium for recreation play and an outdoor track at the SRC Warrior Stadium.

Our Life Fitness and Hammer Strength equipment include:

  • Treadmills
  • Stairclimbers
  • Recumbent and upright bikes
  • Elliptical Trainer
  • Stack Weight Machines
  • Cable Crossover
  • Dual Pulley Adjustable Machine
  • Intek Pro Rubber Weights Plates, Dumbbells and Fixed Bars
  • Power Racks and Benches

The track is open for student and member use during facility daylight hours of operation. To use any of the facilities of the SRC you must purchase a membership. A locker room with showers is available. Information is available to help you set and achieve fitness goals. For more information, please see our website or call 667-3705.

Current Hours of Operation

Monday - Thursday
7:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.

7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

ASI Intramural Sports

Students, Faculty and Staff are invited to participate in Recreational Sports through the ASI Recreation and Wellness program. Current offerings are: Volleyball, Flag Football, Soccer, Basketball, Softball, and Dodgeball. For more information on Intramural Sports call (209) 667-3849.

University Student Union Information Desk

The University Student Union provides many services at the Information Desk at Ext. 3122 in the lobby. Student Union services include:

  • Bus Passes
  • Copies
  • Balloons
  • Postage Stamps
  • Movie Passes
  • Weekend Warrior Program sign-ups
  • Boomer Amusement Park Tickets
  • Universal Studio Tickets
  • Warrior Cards
  • 2017-2018 New Faculty Survival Guide 109
  • Poster Prints
  • Fax
  • Printing from Computer
  • Envelopes
  • Campus Information
  • Campus Operator
  • Fresh Flowers
  • Six Flags Amusement Park
  • Tax Forms

Semester Hours of Operation: Monday - Thursday 8:00am-8:00pm; Friday 8:00am-5:00pm; Saturday and Sunday closed.

Check-Cashing ATM Service

The bookstore does not cash checks. You may use the Golden One Credit Union ATM in the Student Union or the Wells Fargo ATM in MSR or Library Lobby.


Procurement of goods and services with university funds must be submitted to Procurement Services on an "E Requisition" form. E Requisition forms are available on line
at If you have been authorized to make a purchase, you will need to fill out a requisition with all of the relevant information, including the vendor name and address; a description of the purchase; the amount; and the account number from which funds will be used. E Requisitions are not used for travel related expenses, reimbursements, or direct pay requests. Allow at least 10 days for processing. Please contact Procurement Services for more information Ext. 3243.

Procurement Cards

University procurement credit cards may be used for low value supply items. Procurement Cards delegate authority and responsibility to the cardholder to purchase items directly from suppliers and replace the need for requisitions. To become a cardholder, complete the Procard Application and Cardholder Agreement at or contact the Procard Administrator for more information Ext. 3007.


Purchasing contracts are distinguished by the fact that you are obligating the University to pay the other party money in exchange for goods and services. Only the Director Procurement Services or designee has been delegated authority to sign such a contract. When in doubt about whether the document you are asked to sign is actually a contract requiring official University signature, please contact Procurement Services Ext. 3245.

Personally Owned Property

The University accepts no liability or responsibility for your personal property if lost or stolen while on campus. It is recommended that your Department Head be provided with a listing of all personally owned property (e.g. laptops, digital cameras) to avoid the possibility of it being mistaken for Stanislaus State property. Should there be confusion; the proof of ownership will lie with the individual, not the University. Marking your property will also help for identification purposes.

Lost and Found

To claim or report lost and found property, contact the University Police Services at Ext. 3114.

Emergency Management

Become familiar with the University Emergency Information website for full guidance on how to respond during various types of emergency situations:

Faculty Responsibilities during Evacuation of Campus Buildings

The evacuation of campus buildings may be required due to emergency situations occurring on or near the campus. Campus emergency planning facilitates evacuations that are conducted in a systematic, controlled, and planned manner.

The building evacuation plan for California State University, Stanislaus consists of a partnership between the University Police Department, Facilities Services, individual volunteer Building Marshals and Evacuation Monitors.

During regular business hours (8am – 5pm) the Building Marshals and Evacuation Monitors are responsible for the timely and orderly safe evacuation of the building occupants. However; during evening hours or weekends, it is the responsibility of Faculty to execute a safe evacuation of their classrooms and students with the aid of University Police and/or outside agencies.

The evacuation process of a building:

  • Safely walk to the nearest exit and go to an evacuation gathering area away from the building then wait with your class for instructions from emergency personnel
  • Stay out of the way of emergency personnel and vehicles and follow instructions
  • Immediately notify University Police or other emergency response personnel if you know of a disabled or injured person needing assistance

Active Shooter Response Guidelines

The University complies with the US Department of Homeland Security guidelines for how to respond when an active shooter is in your vicinity. The campus community is urged to quickly determine the most reasonable way to protect their own life. Students and public are likely to follow the lead of faculty (or other employees) during an active shooter situation. Practice general safety precautions at all times.

  • EVACUATE – have an escape route in mind, leave your belongings behind, keep your hands visible
  • HIDE OUT – in an area out of the active shooter’s view, block entry to your hiding place and/or lock the doors
  • TAKE ACTION – as a last resort when your life is in danger, attempt to incapacitate the active shooter, act with physical aggression and throw items at the active shooter

University Police Services Telephone Numbers

  • Emergency: 911
  • Emergency Alert Hot Line: 1-877-STAN-411 (877-782-6411)
  • Safety & Risk Management: (209) 667-3035
  • University Police Business number: (209) 667-3114
  • Stockton Center - Securitas Security (209) 993-3469
  • Parking Management Bureau: (209) 667-3702

Emergency Notification System (ENS)

The ENS called StanAlert is used to transmit brief urgent messages to the Stanislaus State campus community as quickly as possible. During an active emergency, StanAlert will be used to direct students and employees. It will be used only for emergency events which have the potential to affect the entire campus. Emergency notifications may include (not limited to):

  • Imminent violent threats (bombs, active shooter, crimes in progress)
  • Fire, natural gas leaks, hazardous spills
  • Building evacuation and shelter-in-place
  • Natural disasters, severe weather, power outages
  • Campus closure due to declared civil emergency or infectious disease concerns

Please help us to reach you by making sure that your contact information is complete and accurate. The contact information used by the system is drawn from the university’s employment and student record database and will be used for emergency communication purposes only. You may update your contact info


If you are traveling on university business, you must file a travel request before you travel at least ten (10) working days before departure. All forms are available on the travel service web site
a You will need to make your own travel arrangements; the university does not have a travel agent. Information needed to complete a travel request includes: the dates and times of travel, and names of drivers. You'll also need an estimate for cost of lodging, registration fees, and other major incidental expenses associated with the travel. If the department, or some other entity on campus is funding the travel, be sure the amount, account number, and signature approval shows on the request. Once you complete the travel, a travel expense claim form needs to be forwarded to the Travel Coordinator, along with a copy of the travel request and your original receipts, before you can be reimbursed. For complete list of travel related information, including American Express card application, guidelines for motor vehicle use, and blanket travel requests, visit the Travel Services website.


A variety of options are available in the Turlock area - from modest rentals to luxury homes. Modesto, Merced, and other surrounding communities are within easy commuting distance. In recent years incoming faculty members have found housing options somewhat limited, so it is a good idea to begin looking as soon as possible. Talk with your department chair, faculty colleagues, department staff, dean or members of the Faculty Development Committee to get a sense of the communities, the price ranges available, and the likelihood of finding specific kinds of housing. The campus doesn't have an official relocation program, but there are numerous sources available from the Web, to real estate agents, to the Chamber of Commerce.

Office Computers

If your office does not have the computer equipment you need for use in instruction and research, please discuss the problem with your department chair.

Phone and Network Connections

Most Offices on campus are cabled for a minimum of one telephone and one data/network connection. If this is not the case, or you need more services, please contact the OIT Technology Support Desk in L150, call Ext. 3687 or e-mail

Technology Support

The Office of Information Technology provides centralized technical support for university owned computer equipment, computer labs, classroom and media equipment, and related services. Support for technology on campus is provided by our centralized and consolidated Technology Support Desk located in L150. You can reach the Technology Support Desk at Ext. 3687 or via e-mail at When classes are in session, the Technology Support Desk is open M-Th 7:30 AM - 8 PM and Fridays 7:30 AM - 5 PM. When classes are not in session the Technology Support Desk is open M-F 8 AM - 5 PM. A quick reference guide, with telephone extensions and email addresses, is available on the web at Other helpful documents are also available under Publications at

Policies and Procedures

You will find it useful to familiarize yourself with university policies and procedures. Your department will have a copy of the Faculty Handbook. In addition, the handbook is located on the university web site at Click on "Academics" and then "Faculty Policies and Organizations," or go

Workplace Violence Policy

The California State University, Stanislaus is committed to creating and maintaining a working, learning, and social environment for faculty, staff, and students, which is free from violence.

Civility, understanding, and mutual respect towards all persons are intrinsic to the existence of a safe and healthy workplace. Threats of violence or acts of violence not only impact the individuals concerns, but also the mission of CSU, Stanislaus to foster higher education through open dialogue and the free exchange of ideas. California State University, Stanislaus prohibits violent acts or threats of violence, and any member of the campus community who commits a violent act or threatens to commit a violent act is subject to disciplinary action and/or civil or criminal prosecution as appropriate.

California State University, Stanislaus has zero tolerance for violence against any member of the workforce, other persons in the workplace, or property.

For the purpose of this policy, violence and threats of violence include, but are not limited to:

Any act that is physically assaultive; or any threat, behavior or action which is interpreted by a reasonable person to carry the potential:

To harm or endanger the safety of other; To result in an act of aggression; or

To destroy or damage property.

Established personnel and public safety procedures will serve as the mechanism for resolving situations of violence or threats of violence. Each allegation of violence or threat of violence will be taken seriously. Individuals are encouraged to report violence, acts of violence, threats of violence, or any other behavior which by intent, act or outcome harms another person or property, to their supervisor, the office of Human Resources, or University Police Services.

Weapons Policy

The possession, use, or sale of firearms, ammunition, fire-works, explosives, or any dangerous weapon is forbidden and subject to university discipline and criminal prosecution.

Alcohol Use

Except for certain specified areas and in university residence housing, the consumption, sale, or use of alcoholic beverages is prohibited on campus, including the gym and parking lots. This campus recognizes the legal drinking age of 21 and enforces all state laws regulating the use of alcoholic beverages. The university also enforces additional specific regulations related to the use of alcoholic beverages on campus property. Talk to your department chair and to University Police at Ext. 3114, to find out more about these regulations and how they affect any proposed use of alcoholic beverages on campus. Only the on campus food service provider is licensed to sell alcoholic beverages on campus.

Drug Use

All members of the campus community are subject to disciplinary action and/or criminal prosecution for the on-campus possession, use, sale, or distribution of any quantity of inappropriate prescription drugs or controlled substances as defined by Federal laws, the State of California Health and Safety Code, and local ordinances.

University Catalog

The annual University Catalog communicates to students the official academic policies and requirements applicable to students. Faculty can especially benefit from reading sections titled "Academic Calendar,” "Undergraduate Admission to the University,” Academic Standards, "Academic Policy and Procedures", “Undergraduate Degree Requirements," and "Course Numbering System."

Radio Station and Newspaper

The campus supports a student newspaper, the Signal, and a campus radio station, KCSS 91.9 FM. The Signal may be reached at Ext. 3410 or KCSS can be reached at Ext. 3378. You can also listen to KCSS on the Internet by visiting or KCSS also broadcasts over the Internet at

California Building Code Requirements and Building Standards

The California State University is responsible for the enforcement of building codes as approved by the California Building Standards Commission. The Deputy Building Official is responsible for issuing a written validation certificate for each project. Under The California Building Code (CBC Section 105) no building or structure shall be erected, constructed, enlarged, repaired, improved, moved, converted or demolished without a building permit (written validation) except those projects exempted by CBC, Section 106.2; e.g., fences not over 6 feet, cases, counters and movable partitions not over 5'-9" high, painting, on grade, and platforms. Projects exempted by CBC, Section 105.2 still require the approval of the campus Deputy Building Officials. It is also important that any physical changes or modifications to State Facilities (i.e. painting, carpet replacement, change of door locks, attaching equipment and fixtures, installing or changing lighting fixtures, moving of furniture and large equipment, etc.) be approved by Facilities Services. This type of work is governed by bargaining unit contracts and must be performed by Facilities staff in conformance to building code requirements, bargaining unit contracts and campus standards, as well as in a safe manner.

To ensure a safe teaching, learning and working environment it is important to first contact Facilities Services for all your planning, design, construction, inspection and maintenance needs.

If you have any questions or require further information, please contact Melody Maffei, AVP Capital Planning & Facilities Management at Ext. 3623