Leaves of Absence


Stanislaus State faculty have a number of paid holidays and/or non-work days throughout the academic year. Sometimes, however, it may be necessary for you to miss work due to illness, family obligations, or your responsibilities to serve in the military or on a jury. You also may wish to take a leave of absence without pay to further your professional development. If you are considering any type of leave, consult with the Office of Faculty Affairs at Ext. 3392, for the appropriate procedures.

Sick Leave

A faculty unit employee is responsible for immediately reporting an absence to the appropriate administrator, as well as completing and signing the campus absence form and returning the absence form to the appropriate administrator (Form 634). Sick leave is accumulated for full-time faculty employees at the rate of eight hours per month. Faculty employees appointed less than full time accrue sick leave on a pro rata basis. Your accumulated sick leave will appear on your check stub. Your department chair has more information. See Article 24 of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU.)


Twelve-month faculty employees accrue vacation at the rate of two days per month. Employees in academic year appointments are not eligible for vacation accrual.


Absences for any time not covered by leave credits will result in a "dock." This means a portion of the employee's pay must be returned to CSU. Part of the salary will be deducted from the paycheck for the month in which the "dock" accrued. The rest will be deducted from the last paycheck received for that academic year or semester.


Stanislaus State schedules 13 paid holidays per year. Faculty members are entitled to all holidays designated as such in the academic calendar.

Personal Holiday

Each faculty employee is allowed one personal holiday during each calendar year. It is presumed that, in the interest of the instructional program, teaching faculty and department chairs will exercise judgment in scheduling a personal holiday, and, except under unusual circumstances, a member of the faculty will not request scheduling of the personal holiday on a day when he or she has teaching responsibilities.

Maternity, Paternity Leave

Faculty employees are eligible for limited paid leave for maternity purposes. Depending upon the circumstances, paid leave can include use of maternity/paternity leave, sick leave and/or non-industrial disability leave. A physician's verification of disability may be required for paid leave. The California Faculty Association-CSU Agreement (MOU) does note that 'a tenured faculty unit employee shall be entitled to a maternity-paternity leave without pay for up to twelve months. Be sure to contact the Human Resources at Ext. 3351, to determine the benefits available to you. Check with your department chair concerning class-scheduling issues.

Family Care and Medical Leave

In accordance with state and federal laws, Family Care and Medical Leave (FML) allows up to 12 weeks of paid medical, dental, and vision benefits during a 12-month period to an employee who is on unpaid leave of absence due to his or her own serious health condition or to care for a child, spouse, or parent. An employee, who has worked one academic year or at least 12 months, is entitled to FML. Reasons for requesting this type of leave must be for any of the following:

  • To care for the employee's child after birth, or placement with employee for adoption or foster care;
  • To care for the employee's spouse, child or parent, who has a serious health condition;
  • For a serious health condition of the employee that makes him or her unable to perform his or her own job.

FML is a leave without pay unless otherwise covered by the leave credits or appropriate disability benefits. During any unpaid portion of the leave, the CSU will continue to pay its normal share toward medical, dental, and vision insurance. Certification of a serious health condition from the health care provider is required. The granting of FML assures the employee a right to return to his or her former position or a comparable position upon expiration of the leave. Employees should refer to the Unit 3 Agreement, MOU, Article 22. Additional information is available from Human Resources at Ext. 3351.

Military Leave

Emergency, temporary, and indefinite military leaves are provided in compliance with federal and state regulations and collective bargaining provisions. Let your chair, dean and the office of Faculty Affairs know your plans as soon as you receive orders.

Jury Duty

Leave with pay is granted to serve on jury duty providing that monies received as a juror are remitted to the university. Let your chair or dean know when you have been informed of jury duty.

Bereavement Leave

Five days of bereavement leave is granted upon the death of an immediate family member. Discuss your plans with your department chair. Complete an absence request form (STD634).

Leave of Absence Without Pay

Full-time faculty employees or part-time tenured faculty employees may be granted full or partial leave of absence without pay for personal or professional purposes. Contact the Office of Faculty Affairs at Ext. 3392, for specific information and guidelines concerning any leaves.

Reminder Regarding Leaves of Absence

  • If you need to miss a class or office hour for any reason, notify your department chair. Whenever possible, arrange to have your classes covered during your absence.
  • If you wish to apply for a leave without pay, check with your department chair, dean, or the Office of Faculty Affairs regarding deadlines and other procedures.
  • If you are called away on military leave, let your department and college dean know as soon as possible and give a copy of your orders to the Office of Human Resources.
  • Remember that examination week is considered a regular workweek.
  • If you are ill and have exhausted your sick leave, check with the Office of Human Resources for information on assistance.
  • Consider applying for a faculty exchange.
  • If you are an academic year faculty employee, you do not accrue vacation time.
  • Check when Stanislaus State schedules its holidays.
  • If you have a question about your leave rights or obligations, check with the Offices of Faculty Affairs, and the appropriate section of the Unit 3 Collective Bargaining Agreement.