TESOL at Stan
Spring 2014 Schedule:
English 4850 Grammar, Section 1
Monday- Wednesday: 2:00 to 3:15, L-160
English 4990: TESOL Senior Seminar, Section 4
Monday 6:00- 9:30, D-B Hall, 114
English 4990: TESOL Senior Seminar, Section 1
Thursday 6:00-9:30, C-233
Course Descriptions & Syllabi
1992 to present: Professor, Department of English, California State University Stanislaus (Turlock, CA): Coordinator of TESOL Programs, and adjunct faculty in Spanish.
- Director of Stanislaus Winter program in Cuernavaca, Mexico, 2003-2010.
- Developer and teacher of high intensity language teaching (HILT) Spanish curriculum (Spanish 1000) 1993-2008.
- Chair of campus Self-Study Team (for WASC), 2005-2010
- Campus coordinator, writer, and editor for WASC Reaccreditation Report and campus visit, 1996-1999.
- Author of Stanislaus President’s (Marvalene Hughes) Annual Reports 2000-2001, andSeven-Year Report, 2002.
- Author and editor of Content Based Instruction in Foreign Language Education, Georgetown University Press, 1997.
- Leader of Fulbright Group Program in Venezuela, summer, 1997.
1990-1992: Special Assistant to the Provost for Academic Affairs, California State University Stanislaus: coordination and administrative support for faculty and curriculum development projects.
- Adjunct Professor in departments of Modern Languages, Teacher Education, and English.
- Adjunct lecturer at Monterey Institute of International Studies, 1995-96.
- Summer visiting professor at University of Arizona (Tucson) in Second Language Learning and Teaching (SLAT) doctoral program, 1991-93.
1984-1989: Head of the Spanish Department of the Foreign Service Institute (FSI), U.S. Department of State, Washington, D.C.: personnel management, budgeting, planning, proficiency testing and evaluation, curriculum development, text writing, teacher training, and inter-agency liaison with NSA, CIA, Diplomatic Security, Congress, and Defense Department.
1972-1984: Academic Director, Language First Inc., Tucson, Arizona, 1982-84.
- Instructor of Spanish, Portuguese, and ESL, and lecturer in ESL Methodology, University of Arizona (Tucson). Spanish Instructor: Pima College.
- Federal Title VII Fellow for doctoral work, 1981-84. Ph D, University of Arizona, Educational Foundations and Administration (Second Language Education). Other degrees: MA in Bilingual Education/ESL, MA in Spanish Literature, BA in Latin American Studies.
- Instructor of Spanish and ESL, Instituto Norteamericano, Seville, Spain, 1972-73.
- Instructor of ESL, Instituto Americano de Linguas, Lisbon, Portugal, 1976-78
1968-1972: U.S. Army, Military Intelligence: Case Officer and Intelligence Analyst for U.S. Army Field Activities Command, Washington D.C. and Puerto Rico. Rank: Captain.
Overseas residence and languages: Ten years residence outside of USA: Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, Puerto Rico, Spain, and Portugal.
* Foreign languages: Spanish (FSI rating 4+) and Portuguese (FSI rating 2+).