Simon Bolivar University, Ph.D in Letters, 1997
Virginia Tech, Master of Arts in Education, 1982
University of San Francisco, B.A. in Psychology, 1968
Areas of Expertise
Psycholinguistics, applied linguistics, ESL, bilingual education, University administration, Spanish language, culture and literature and reading.
Employment as Administrator
(1997-2004) Chair of the Department of Modern Languages, California State University, Stanislaus.
(1993-1997) President of Simon Bolivar Coastal Campus in Vargas State, Venezuela.
(1984-1989) Dean of the College of Social Sciences and Humanities, Simon Bolivar University, Caracas, Venezuela Campus.
(1981-1983) Chair of the Department of Modern Languages, Simon Bolivar University, Caracas, Venezuela Campus.
Employment as Faculty
(1997- present) Department of Philosophy and Modern Languages, California State University, Stanislaus. Since 2010, participate in the Faculty Early Retirement Plan.
(1989-1991) Visiting faculty in the Department of Modern Languages, California State University, Stanislaus.
(1972-1997) Department of Modern Languages, Simon Bolivar University, Caracas, Venezuela.
- The Art of Reading and Writing. Monte Avila Editors, Caracas, Venezuela, 2010.
- Historical Analysis of the Teaching of English as a Second Language with Special Emphasis on English for Specific Purposes. Second Volume 1980-2010). Perfiles Press 2005, La Guaira, Estado Vargas, Venezuela.
- Historical Analysis of the Teaching of English as a Second Language with Special Emphasis on English for Specific Purposes, First Volume (1930-1980). Perfiles Press, 2000. La Guaira, Estado Vargas, Venezuela.
- Some Psychological Language Models and Their Applicabilty to the Knowledge of Linguistics. Equinoccio Press, 1995, Caracas, Venezuela.
- The Bilingual Reading Process of Adult Spanish Speakers Learning to Read English as a Second Language. Franco Press, 1990, Caracas, Venezuela.
- A Revision of Current Methodologies of Second Language Teaching. Monte Claro Press, 1984. Co-written with Elinor Callarotti, Giovana Barroso and Ian Stevens, colleagues of the Department of Modern Languages at Simon Bolivar University, Caracas Campus.
Referred Articles 33
Non-Referred Articles 68
Newspaper Articles 186
Honors & Awards (Selected list)
- Invited by the Hispanic Leadership Council of Stanislaus County, California to Give a conference on Hispanic Demographics "Challenges and Opportunities for the Third Millenium", September 10, 2010.
- Inducted to the Soccer Hall of Fame of the University of San Francisco, August, 2009.
- Named to the Board of Advisors of the Venezuelan Council of Higher Education, Caracas, 2008.
- Nominated for Outstanding Professor of the Year, California State University, in 2003, 2004, and 2005.
- Nominated by the Nobel Prize Committee to provide names of candidates for the
- Nobel Prize in Literature in 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2008.
- Co-Recipient of a Fulbright Grant to coordinate a summer seminar at Simon Bolivar University in Venezuela for grammar and high school teachers from Stanislaus County on Venezuelan culture and language. July, 1998.
- Editor of the refereed journal, Atlantida, an academic journal dedicated to Research at Simon Bolivar University, Caracas, Venezuela. (1984-1990)
- Invited by the Universities of California and National of San Diego, California to Present the paper "Challenges of Education in a World in the Process of Globalization", 1995.
- Elected to the Rotary Club of North-America for outstanding community service, 1996.
Professional Societies Membership
- California Faculty Association
- California Language Teachers Association
- Venezuelan Association of Writers
- Simon Bolivar University Faculty Association
- Rotary Club