Professor of Art
1953-1958 - Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, Wakefield
1958-1960 - Wakefield College of Art: Intermediate Dip AD
1960-1962 - Leeds College of Art: NDD
1962-1963 - Post Dip in Art and Design
1963-1964 - Goldsmiths’ College, London University: ATC
1964-1966 - Clarendon College of Further Education – Fine Art Lecturer
1966-1984 - Northumbria University @ Newcastle: Head of Printmaking
1984-1986 - Second year Painting Tutor
1986-1990 - Head of Painting
1998-1990 - Head of Art
1990-02 - Norwich School of Art and Design, Course Leader BA (Hons) Fine Art
1997-02 - Course Leader MA Fine Art
- Winchester School of Art.
- Wakefield College of Art.
- Sheffield Polytechnic.
- The Art Institute, Chicago.
- Academie Minerva Groningen.
- Sunderland Polytechnic.
- Crewe and Alsager Faculty.
- Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art.
- Leeds Metropolitan University.
- University of Ulster at Belfast.
Areas of Expertise:
Fine Art Contemporary Practice.
- Midland Gallery, Nottingham.
- LYC.Gallery, Brampton, Cumbria.
- Dovecot Gallery, Stockton.
- Laing Art Gallery, Newcastle.
- Northern Centre of Contemporary Art, Sunderland.
- Grays City Art Gallery, Hartlepool.
- Myles Meehan Gallery, Darlington.
- Alsager Gallery, Alsager.
- City Art Gallery, Dundee.
- Norwich Gallery, Norwich.
- Hardware Gallery, London.
- Grizedale Centre. Grizedale England.
- Kelling Arts Festval., Kelling England.
- ‘A Painterly Approach’ The Northern Centre for Contemporary Art, Sunderland.
- ‘Nine from Newcastle’ York University Gallery, Toronto,Canada.
- The Richard Demarco Gallery, Edinburgh.
- Centrum Beeldende Kunst, Oosterpoot, Groningen, Netherlands.
- ‘Nine from Newcastle’ Fachhockschole Heilbronn, Germany.
- ‘Three Artists from the North of England’ Sculpture Court, R.I.B.A. London.
- Bergen Kunstforening, Bergen, Norway.
- ‘East’ International Open Exhibition, Norwich Gallery, Norwich
- ‘Ten Days’ Pyramid Arts Centre, London.
- ‘North-East to Finland and Russia, Central house of the Artists, Moscow, Russia.
- Latvian Academy of Art, Riga, Latvia.
- “Weather View, Norwich-Den Haag” Koninkijke Gallery, Den Haag, Netherlands.
- ‘The Hare’ Leicester City Art Gallery, England
- Newcastle Regional Gallery,NSW, Austrailia.
- ‘Sticks’ ArtSway Gallery, Hampshire, England. a Southern Arts touring exhibition
- “Drawing Connections” Beach Gallery, Kansas.
- “Strands” I Gallery, Chicago.
Commissions Awards, Residencies & Publications:
- Prizewinner Internationale Ausstellung Graphik, Vienna.
- Northern Arts Purchase Award.
- Prizewinner ‘Pernod Print Exhibition’.
- ‘Barn Requiem’, commissioned by Village Arts for the Loftus Festival, supported by CVAF, Lanbaurgh on Tees, Borough Council, Northern Arts, Cleveland Arts, Cleveland County Council.
- Invited Artist Leeds Metropolitan University National and International Symposium 1992 &1994.
- NSAD research award
- Publication ‘Crossing Open Ground’
- Eastern Arts Publishing Award
- The Grizedale Forest Residency.
- “Sticks” Commissioned by Southern Arts Touring Exhibition
- ‘Gordon Senior - Crossing Open Ground’, Helen Pye-Smith, ARLIS, issue 113.
- ‘Crossing Open Ground by Gordon Senior’, Cathy Coutney, Art Monthly 9.95.
- “Drawing Connections” Kansas State University
- Video “ Down to Earth” Salthouse Church, North Norfolk
- Video interview “The Hare” Gysing Arts