In response to the COVID-19 pandemic Facilities Services has taken the following actions in order to ensure proper building ventilation, indoor air quality and domestic water safety. These actions were in accordance with guidance received from the Chancellor’s office.
- Program building HVAC controls to automatically flush buildings with fresh outdoor air for a minimum of 1 hour prior to occupancy. In times of temperature extremes, the flushing period is adjusted as necessary to allow buildings to maintain temperature.
- Install MERV 13 high-efficiency filter in building air handlers to enhance indoor air quality
- Check and ensure fume hoods in all the labs are operating properly.
- Where available set CO2 sensors to 800 ppm to increase building ventilation during occupied periods.
- Ensure all exhaust fans are operating as designed.
- Set HVAC economizers to 25% outdoor air in all buildings to increase fresh air intake during occupancy.
- Ensure airflow sensors and temperature alarms are functioning properly.
- Flush all building domestic water systems to ensure water quality.
- Maintain all heating/cooling water loops circulating and at set point temperatures to prevent stagnation of water.
- Increase chemical treatment of all hot & cold loops as well as cooling towers to ensure against any water-borne contamination.
Adjust HVAC control schedules to accommodate fall class schedules and building occupancy.