Program Information

M.A. in Education, Concentration in Counselor Education and LPCC or PPS Credential

The Counselor Education Program offers two degrees: (1) Master of Arts in Education and LPCC (60 units, with comprehensive exam; 67-69 units with thesis), (2) Master of Arts in Education and Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential (51 units with comprehensive exam; 58-60 units with thesis).

The MA with LPCC positions candidates for licensure as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, thus maximizing post-graduation degrees of freedom relative to pursuing careers as mental health professionals working in community mental health and private non-profit agencies. 

The MA with PPS Credential program has been revised to meet the current state standards, and has been approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC), and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).

Career Options

The state of California requires that all School Counselors in K-12 schools hold the Pupil Personnel Services Credential. Most states require that school counselors also have a Master’s degree. The program at CSU Stanislaus leads to both. Most of our graduates choose to be counselors in K-12 schools, as well as community settings. Others work in academic advising and student services in colleges and universities. Some choose to utilize their skills in their current positions as teachers, group home professionals, foster care coordinators, etc. Also, our graduates have worked as the following:

  • Communications Specialist in hospital
  • Administrator of pain clinic
  • College EOP Counselor
  • Director of Student Union at University level
  • Academic Advisor at University level
  • Counselor at mental health (working with teens after school program)
  • Counselor at a group home
  • Career Counselor at University
  • Coordinator of Teen Pregnancy program
  • Used a first credential needed to then obtain administrator credential
  • Creator of an adoption agency
  • Career Center Counselor Work in agency (victim of disaster; special education)
  • Career Technician at Community College
  • School Counselor at alternative school
  • Counselor at Community College
  • Vocational Counselor with Pregnant Minors (via County Education Department)
  • Director of Multicultural Services Admission Requirements

Admission Requirements

In order to be fully admitted into the Counselor Education Programs, the following requirements must be met:

  • Admission to the University with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
  • ​Pass the First Interview.

Prior to the First Interview you must complete and turn in to the Advanced Studies Office, DBH 348, (Check Program Website, Schedule of Events, or Program Office for current deadlines.)

  • Application for First Interview Form and $25 Fee Receipt. 1st Interview Application
  • CBEST verification showing overall passage and a score of 41 or higher on the writing section, or proof of passage of CSET 101, 102, 103 and 142 or proof of passing an approved basic skills requirement.
  • A copy of a Certificate of Clearance, or valid California Teaching Credential or Substitute Permit. If you do not possess one of the items listed above, you must apply for a Certificate of Clearance by the application due date. The Certificate of Clearance Application is available on the CCTC website.
  • Three Letters of Recommendation from professionals.


Students participate in 3 interviews:

The First Interview is required for admission to the program; after completing 20 units in the program, students participate in the Second Interview, which is a competency feedback session; and upon completion of all coursework, students met with the Program Coordinator for an Exit Interview.

Field Experience

Both programs require a total of 600 hours of counseling experience in public schools and other settings. These must be completed in segments of 150 hours per semester for four semesters.


The Nina Ribak-Rosenthal Memorial Scholarship is awarded to Counselor Education Program students only. It was established in memory of Dr. Ribak-Rosenthal, who taught School Counseling courses and coordinated the program for more than 20 years.