Self-Assessment is a process of examining your values, skills, interests and personality to obtain a better understanding of yourself and your unique career and life goals.
Students, regardless of class year, should engage in self assessment to identify "what you want to do next," to identify the skills and strengths you bring to future employers, and to identify potential career fields and opportunities that you may not have explored.
What do we mean by values, skills, interests & personality?
Values: Priorities identified through education, career and life experiences. (Examples: high income, flexible work schedules, enjoying the company of your colleagues, changing work duties)
Personality: Patterns of behavior, your way of thinking, feeling and acting. (Examples: extroversion and introversion, how you receive, process and act on information)
Interests: Activities you enjoy and pursue in your leisure time. (Examples: performing arts, writing/journaling, reading, fitness) Skills: Unique talents that may have occurred naturally or have been honed through practice and experience over time. (Examples: problem solving, public speaking, creativity, organization, leadership)
Connect majors to careers and find information for further career exploration and research: visit What Can I Do With This Major?
- Discover the industries and type of employers for 80 majors
- Learn strategies to effectively prepare for careers in your major
Career Assessment Sites Listings
Identify your interests:
Explore your values:
Understand your personality:
General Information Sites
America's Career Info Net Find wages and employment trends, occupational requirements, state by state labor market conditions, millions of employer contacts nationwide, and the most extensive career resource library online.
Bureau of Labor Statistics Great resource for up-to-date Bureau of Labor Statistics Data, Economy at a Glance, and Regional Information.
Career Overview - Career information, career descriptions, career education and job search guide for aspiring career professionals.
College Grad.com Review career titles by industry and obtain specific occupational information for hundreds of occupations.
Glassdoor.com - Search jobs then look inside. Company salaries, reviews, interview questions, and more - all posted anonymously by employees and job seekers.
Indeed.com - Click here to find millions of jobs from thousands of company web sites, job boards and newspapers. One search. All jobs.
MyPlan.com Helps students and professionals plan more fulfilling lives by making well-informed decisions about their education and careers.
Occupational Outlook Handbook Career information on hundreds of career fields including job descriptions, job outlook, salary information and much more. Produced by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
O*Net - The Occupational Information Network Identify your skills, learn about related jobs and find occupations of interest. Developed and maintained by the Department of Labor.
Princeton Review Career Profiles Resources and links to great articles, research and career profiles by the experts at Princeton Review.
Rileyguide.com - A guide to the best the Web has to offer for job search, career exploration, and education information.
Tweet My Jobs - Provides a social recruiting solution to connect job seekers with hiring employers.
USAJobs.gov - The Federal Government's official job list.
WetFeet.com Company interviews, company profiles, insider guides, career profiles, industry profiles and more.
Specific Career Fields Sites
Accounting & Finance
- Anthropology Careers - American Anthropological Association
- American Institute of Biological Sciences
- Careers in Botany - Botanical Society of America
- Careers in Microbiology /Biotechnology
- Careers in Physiology - American Physiological Society
- Careers in Plant Pathology
- Medical/Health Exploration
- SciWeb - Biotechnology career center
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
Computer Information Systems
- Commission on Peace Standards and Training
- Department of Justice
- Federal Law Enforcement Career Resources
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service - Law Enforcement
- Edjoin - K-12 Job Search
- Education Week - Top School Jobs
- Higher Education Jobs
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium
- Teach California
- California Community College: Employment Registry
- Careers in English - Roosevelt University
- Career opportunities for English Majors - Rutgers University
- Environmental Careers World
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Profiles of Environmental Careers
- The Environmental Careers Organization
- Historian Careers - American Historical Association
- Career Resources
- Careers in Math
- Mathematics of Cartography
- PLUS Magazine (Math Journal) - Great Information on Job Options!
- Women in NASA
- Journal of Neonatal Nursing
- NursingNet - online mentoring about careers and career issues
- Careers in Social Work
- The New Social Worker Online
- Social Work Programs, Licensing and Certification