TurnItIn Information - Blackboard Integration
Create a Bb/TII Assignment
- In the Bb Course Menu, click the Content Area (e.g., Assignments) where you want the students to submit the Turnitin Assignment.
- In the Assessments menu, select Turnitin Assignment.
- Click the button for the Assignment Type (when applicable, otherwise continue with next):
Paper Assignment - basic type, most common.
PeerMark Assignment - for students to review their peers' papers.
Revision Assignment - for multiple draft uploads without overwriting the previous drafts. This assignment type requires a Paper Assignment to be created first.
Click Next Step
- On the New Assignment page, enter the Assignment Title, the Point Value, and the Start/Due/Post Date options (Post Date sets when students see the grade and comments.)
- Set Optional Settings as needed (Special Instructions, alternate settings)
Includes Originality Report settings.
- Click Submit.
A column is added to the Bb course Grade Center.
Students see the TII Assignment Name with the View/Complete link on that content page. The assignment is submitted to TII through the Bb TII Assignment link.
Grade a Bb/TII Assignment
- In your Bb Control Panel, click Course Tools, then click Turnitin Assignments.
- Click the name of the assignment on that page.
- Click Roster Sync, if necessary, to add or update student names to the Author column.
- Click the name of the submission in the Title column to open the TII Document Viewer and see the paper.
- Click the Grade column icon to open the paper in Grade Mark view to add comments and enter a grade.
- Click the Similarity column icon to view the Originality Report.
Navigate among Originality, Grade Mark, and Peer Mark pages with the buttons on the TII Document Viewer
- Click the File column icon to download that paper in the original format.
- Click the check box by the word Author to select all files, then click Download and select Original File or GradeMark Paper. Click OK on the popup item to continue. Go to the Messages tab for the link to download the files in a zipped folder - follow the prompts.
Unzip the folder to work with papers on your computer.
TII User's Paper and Originality Report links are also available from the Bb Grade Center. Select Attempt [date] from the drop down menu to open the page.
NOTE: Students cannot view their GradeMark comments, including spelling/grammar check, until the assignment Post Date/Time has passed (not the same as the Due Date).
The instructor must have used GradeMark on the submission options for GradeMark view to be available to the student.
If the student does not see a blue View button (e.g., it's grey), then either the Post-Date hasn't passed or the instructor has not used GradeMark for the submission.
When students submit an assignment to the TurnItIn link, they see a digital receipt page with a Submission ID Number. They also receive an email with the receipt number. The student should check the junk, spam, or trash email folders if the digital receipt is not in the inbox.
Advise students to save or print that information to use for tracking the submission in case of an issue. The TII Help Desk needs the receipt number.
If a student does not see the receipt, the paper was not accepted, and the student will need to start the process again.
Many students make the mistake of uploading the paper and thinking it’s done.
There is a second step, which is to Confirm Submission.
If the second step isn't completed, the paper will not be submitted, and there will be no digital receipt.
Delete a Bb/TII Assignment
- In the Bb Class Control Panel, click Course Tools, click Turnitin Assignments.
- Find the assignment name and click Delete Assignment.
This deletes the Assignment from Blackboard.
- On the popup alert, click OK to confirm deletion.
Papers remain in the TII database and will be used for text matching with future submissions.
When you see TurnItIn Error 423
- For a quick response
Call the TII Help Desk,
- TII requests 24 - 48 hours to resolve this issue.
TII Top Questions
- Why didn't the Originality Report find a source I think should match?
- How can I remove matches from the Originality Report?
- Why to I have to wait 24 hours to view an Originality Report after a student resubmits?
- How can I use Turnitin on my iPad ®?
- Why can’t students see the e-rater® feedback?
- How can I relink a TII Assignment to my Grade Center column?
- How can I delete a TII Assignment?
- What are the top 15 misconceptions about TII?
Visit the TurnItIn Self-Service Help Center for quick answers to your questions.
See the TurnItIn YouTube videos.
Check the TII System Status.
Submit a workorder directly to TII.
Join the Global TII Educator Network - Best Practices, Blog, Tools
TII Blackboard Basic Integration Instructor Manual