TurnItIn Information - Blackboard Integration
Create a Bb/TII Assignment
- In the Bb Course Menu, click the Content Area (e.g., Assignments) where you want the students to submit the Turnitin Assignment.
- In the Assessments menu, select Turnitin Assignment.
- Click the button for the Assignment Type:
Paper Assignment - basic type, most common.
PeerMark Assignment - for students to review their peers' papers.
Revision Assignment - for multiple draft uploads without overwriting the previous drafts. This assignment type requires a Paper Assignment to be created first.
Click Next Step
- On the New Assignment page, enter the Assignment Title, the Point Value, and the Start/Due/Post Date options (Post Date may not apply for your assignment. If used, select a date after the Due Date.)
- Set Optional Settings as needed (Special Instructions, alternate settings)
- Click Submit.
A column is added to the Bb course Grade Center.
Students see the TII Assignment Name View/Complete link on that content page. The assignment is submitted to TII through the Bb TII Assignment link.
Grade a Bb/TII Assignment
- In your Bb Control Panel, click Course Tools, then click Turnitin Assignments.
- Click the name of the assignment on that page.
- Click Roster Sync, if necessary, to add or update student names to the TII Author column.
- Click the name of the submission in the Title column to open the TII Viewer and see the paper.
- Click the Grade column icon to open the paper to add comments and enter a grade.
- Click the Similarity column icon to view the Originality Report.
- Click the File column icon to download that paper.
- Click the check box by the word Author to select all files, then click Download and select Original File or GradeMark Paper. Click OK. Click the selection on the pop-up window to begin the download process. Files are downloaded in a zipped folder. Unzip the folder to work with papers on your computer.
NOTE: Students cannot view their GradeMark comments, including spelling/grammar check, until the assignment Post Date/Time has passed (not the same as the Due Date).
The instructor must have used GradeMark on the submission options for GradeMark to be available to the student.
If the student does not see a blue View button (e.g., it's grey), then either the Post-Date hasn't passed or the instructor has not used GradeMark for the submission.
When students submit an assignment to the TurnItIn link, they see a digital receipt page with a Submission ID Number. They may also receive an email with the number. The student should check the junk, spam, or trash email folders if the digital receipt is not in the inbox.
Direct students to save or print that information to use for tracking the submission in case of an issue. The TII Help Desk needs the receipt number to start the process.
If a student does not see the receipt with the number, the paper was not accepted, and the student will need to start the process again.
Many students make the mistake of uploading the paper and thinking it’s done.
There is a second step, which is to Confirm Submission.
If the second step isn't completed, the paper will not be submitted, and there will be no digital receipt.
Delete a Bb/TII Assignment
- In the Bb Course Menu, click the Content Area (e.g., Assignments) where you want to delete the Turnitin Assignment.
- Click the Action Link (small arrow) by the assignment name and select Delete. This deletes the TII Assignment link and the Grade Center column.
Papers remain in the TII database. If someone submits the same work, the original paper will be used for text matching and may result in a high similarity score.
TII Top Questions
- Why didn't the Originality Report find a source I think should match?
- How can I remove matches from the Originality Report?
- Why to I have to wait 24 hours to view an Originality Report after a student resubmits?
- How can I use Turnitin on my iPad ®?
- Why can’t students see the e-rater® feedback?