A Message from the ASI Governmental Relations Coordinator
In 2007/2008 the California State University system had 353,915 students and the CSU’ s allocation from the state reached its peak of $2.97 billion. For years 2014/2015, total funding will be $2.51 billion- very much below the 2007 level. Meanwhile, enrollment has increased by nearly 100,000 students. During the past six years, as funding was cut drastically, tens of thousands of eligible students were turned away from the CSU. This is an apparent problem for the future of California that ought to be addressed and prioritized in the California legislature. The California State University system strives on its affordability, accessibility, and quality of its education, however, without necessary and justifiable funding to continue to be the basis of California’s economy it will surely maintain its current prolonged failure to comply with its mission.
The Warrior Lobby Team is a committed force on campus that strives to let the student voice be heard by our elected officials. We work closely with the California State Student Association (CSSA) whose mission is to maintain and enhance access to an accessible, affordable, and quality higher education for the people of California, to the California State University (CSU). The Lobby Team is challenged with lobbying the 6 state legislators, and single federal legislator whose districts represent the majority of the population of CSU Stanislaus.
It is crucial for students and their families to get involved during this time to convince the legislature that cutting the higher education budget is not the answer to California’s economic crisis.
Ways to get involved:
- Apply to become a member of the Warrior Lobby Team to become a leader in revamping the basis of California’s economy (CSU System)
- Attend social and political events – talk about this issue (especially how it’s impacted you personally)
- Follow the actions of the California State Student Association (CSSA) who are the voice of all approximately 437,000 CSU students.
- Write a letter to Governor Jerry Brown stating your feelings about the budget cuts and how they affected you (Bring it to ASI and we will send it for you)
- Write a letter to/call your local legislator and ask them to support higher education.
- Most importantly, register to vote and vote on Election Day!
If you would like some more information on how you can get involved, please feel free to contact me.
Edgar R. Garcia
Governmental Relations Coordinator
Associated Student, Inc.
California State University, Stanislaus