Ag Studies Internship Course Description
Supervised work in an agriculture related agency or business, designed to emphasize technical and employability skill development, including construction of a professional portfolio. The experience will be under the joint supervision of the employer and faculty member. 45 hours total per unit of credit. May be repeated for a total of 8 units. Prerequisites: Junior or senior level agricultural studies major and consent of instructor.
Goal of the Internship
Students choose an agribusiness firm that most closely aligns with their personal career goal in agriculture. The Goal of the Internship is to immerse the student in real-world opportunities that develop relationships with an agricultural firm and people employed in a variety of agriculture careers.
How does the program work?
Internship positions are obtained in two ways:
- The student makes the initial contact with the industry firm, or
- The student accesses the list of internship possibilities in the Ag Studies office
The company offers skill building employment and provides one performance evaluation.
The program advisor will make at least one job-site visit.
Student develops a Professional Portfolio and documents hours and skills developed. An oral presentation is required.
What are the advantages?
For Industry Partner:
- Strengthen the relationship with Stan State Ag Studies
- Partnership in student education by providing interns with real world career experiences
- Obtain a first-hand look at a potential employee
- Take advantage of the creativity, motivation and skills of an undergraduate with agriculture background and passion
For Ag Studies Student:
- Obtain real-world experience in a career setting
- An opportunity to explore career options and fields
- Develop industry standard skills and understanding about a potential career area
- Opportunity to prove oneself to a prospective future employer
How do I sign up?
Students: Enroll in AGST 4940 Ag Studies Internship using the Special Registration form (available in the Ag Studies office)
Industry Partner: Call the Ag Studies office with information about the internship (position title, job description, salary, hours, start date, minimum and desired qualifications).
- California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA)
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
For more information we encourage you to drop by our office:
Agricultural Studies Department
Bizzini Hall Room C-108
California State University Stanislaus
One University Circle
Turlock, CA. 95382
Or contact us by phone or e-mail
Phone: (209) 667-3961