COVID-19 Update

Current advising and enrollment-related forms and processes have been impacted by COVID-19. Please visit Enrollment Services for the latest updates and instructions.

If you have immediate advising needs, please schedule time with an academic advisor.

Frequently Asked Questions

A student must visit their major advisor for academic planning related to their major. Students may check with their major department to find out who their advisor is and to make advising appointments. 

For advising concerns outside of the major, please connect with an academic advisor online. Review the Undeclared Advisee Expectations document and take note of the important suggestions recommended by our academic advising team. Also, the General Education planning guide is helpful in tracking your GE progress.

It is required that all students declare a major no later than attaining junior standing (60 completed units). However, it is very important to select a major as early as possible. Careful planning and organization is needed to complete your degree in your desired timeline. The academic advisors at the Academic Success Center are available on a walk-in basis to discuss your academic goals and to assist you in declaring a major.
Academic Advisors


Students who would like to change or declare a major must complete the Declaration or Change of Degree Objective form.
Majors and Minors


Students are recommended to submit an application for graduation to the Enrollment Services Office when two semesters remain to complete requirements for the degree, or when a minimum of 90 units has been earned toward completion of the degree. 
Apply for Graduation


For Upper Division General Education credit, courses may be taken no earlier than the term in which upper-division status (completion of 60 semester units) is attained. If a student takes Upper Division General Education courses before completing 60 units, credits will count as elective units. 

For upper division courses in a major, first seek advising from your major department. For most upper division major courses students need only to meet prerequisites, or obtain instructor approval.

You may elect to be graded on a Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) basis in any general education course approved with a Credit/No Credit grading option. A grade of CR or NC has no effect on your GPA. No more than 24 Stanislaus State CR semester units, including winter and summer term courses, may be applied toward a baccalaureate degree.

Please Note: There are special exceptions for the terms impacted by COVID-19. See the current grading options.

Grading Options

Grading modifications were approved by the university for terms Spring 2020 through Spring 2022.

Updated: March 08, 2023