Scheduling a Tutoring Appointment
Same-Day Tutoring: Call 667-3642 or stop by the center after 9:30 a.m. to sign in for an available 25-minute same day tutoring session. Same-day Tutoring is provided on a first come, first served basis. You may request one session per day, up to two per week.
What Tutors Do
The Writing Center works collaboratively with undergraduate and graduate students to help them develop and craft their writing. Usually, tutors first help writers address larger issues, such as focus, organization, and development; then, tutors assist writers with sentence-level issues, such as grammar, punctuation, and diction. Tutors can help writers:
- Understand assignments
- Generate ideas
- Develop a focus
- Organize and plan essays
- Develop ideas
- Revise drafts
- Improve proofreading and editing skills
- Prepare for the WPST
What Tutors Won't Do
The Writing Center tutors do not proofread papers. Instead, tutors work with each student to develop his/her editing skills.
Tutors will not mark up your papers with corrections that need to be made. It is our policy for tutors not to write on a student's paper, but to help the writer recognize the changes and corrections that need to be made in order to improve his/her own writing.
Tutors will not provide you with word-for-word corrections to be made--copying down another's words as your own is a form of plagiarism. Rather, the tutor will help you develop and articulate your own ideas and help you implement your own changes and corrections.
What to Bring
- Bring your assignment, related materials such as textbooks, questions, and research, and any writing you have done so far.
Make the Most of Your Tutoring Session
- Be open-minded and ready to work when you arrive for your scheduled appointment.
- Mark sections of your draft that you are especially unsure of and bring questions for your tutor.
- Ask your instructor for feedback on your writing or for more specific directions on the assignment before attending your session.
Length of the Tutoring Session
- Scheduled one-on-one tutoring sessions usually last 50 minutes. Same Day sessions are 25 minutes. You may request one same day session per day, two per week.
- If a student is sick or has an emergency, she/he needs to call the Writing Center at 667-3642 to cancel her/his appointment.
- Students who do not cancel their appointments before the start of their scheduled sessions will be dropped from their standing tutoring appointment.
- A student may cancel before the scheduled appointment time two times before being dropped from tutoring.
- On a case-by-case basis, the Writing Center Director may reinstate a student after he/she has been dropped.