- When departments have property that is not being utilized they must complete a Survey/Transfer Report form (pdf) and submit it to Property Management to arrange for the equipment to be picked-up.
- Once the Survey/Transfer Report form is received by Property Management it is verified before removal of the equipment can be scheduled and completed.
- Property Management will determine if the surplus property is to be retained for future university use or be disposed of according to established procedures.
- Surplus property lists are maintained by Property Management. Departments in need of furniture or equipment can contact Support Services (ext 3500).
As a State agency, the CSU as a whole and each CSU campus is required to maintain a valid accounting of all property acquired using state and other related resources. Computers and computer peripherals represent the largest amount of surplus property. When a department acquires new computers, the old computers are removed, stored, transferred, etc. OIT and the Property Control Office have developed a process to assist departments and to better control the location and disposition of surplus computer equipment. This new process puts the responsibility on OIT to determine if a computer can be reutilized or if it is to be disposed of as "junk". This will also allow for better record keeping regarding the location of all computer equipment on campus.
Process Description for Surplus Computers
- When a computer is no longer needed, the department to which the equipment is assigned (custodian) must prepare a Property Survey/Transfer form (pdf) stating that the computer is no longer needed and is to be disposed of. Departments are not authorized to dispose of equipment.
- Property Control will then schedule for pickup of the computer.
- This removes the custodial responsibility for the computer from the department, and transfers it to the campus.
- OIT will make the determination as to whether the computer can be reconfigured for reutilization. If so OIT will become the custodian of that property and will transfer it to the appropriate new custodian when it is reassigned. If not, the equipment will be readied for disposal in an appropriate and environmentally friendly way.
All members of the campus community have a responsibility to safeguard the scarce property resources available in conducting the educational mission of the campus. We appreciate everyone's support in managing our computer hardware resources.