The Master of Social Work Program at California State University, Stanislaus prepares social workers to advance social justice. This education is committed to social change based on an analysis of social, political and economic structures and their impact. This teaching and learning environment enables faculty, students and graduates to collaborate with others to transform the conditions which contribute to privilege and oppression. Graduates are prepared to use an advanced integrative practice approach to work with individuals, families and communities to promote personal and collective liberation.
- Prepare professional social workers to engage with diverse populations in a process of critical reflection and action to address oppression and promote social justice.
- Prepare professional social workers to engage in the struggle to understand and transform their biases.
- Prepare social workers to use an integrative practice framework for multi-system interventions guided by ethics and informed by research.
- Prepare professional social workers to assume leadership roles in meeting the social service needs of the region.
- Create a learning environment based on principles of social justice where faculty and students participate in the development of knowledge that contributes to improving the social conditions of the region.
- Create partnerships with community constituents based on principles of social justice that allow faculty and students to participate, both as leaders and learners, in the development of social work knowledge and service delivery systems.
The Master of Social Work Program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
Fall 2015 Admission Deadline is February 28, 2015
Admission to the MSW program is based on meeting the general University requirements, plus an evaluation of the applicant's potential for advanced practice in the profession of social work. Two applications are required - one to the University and one to the Social Work Program. No spring admission.
To complete an admissions application to the MSW program applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Complete University requirements. Apply to the Graduate School Online at www.csusmentor.edu (There is a $55 non-refundable application fee that must be paid before your application can be processed). Recommended deadline for University Application is January 10.
- GPA of 2.5 required; 3.0 in the last 60 units preferred.
- Liberal arts background demonstrated by having met the CSU general education requirements or a comparable course of study as an undergraduate.
- Academic background including instruction in the behavioral and biological sciences related to the human condition.
- Voluntary and/or paid experience in human services.
It is recommended that applicants complete a course in statistics and be computer literate.
Complete the following application materials:
- Admission Application.pdf
- Autobiographical statement (1200-1500 words) refer to Social Work Admission Requirements.pdf for detailed guidelines.
- At least three academic and/or professional references (including the completed Request for Reference Form.pdf and a reference letter attached) from individuals who can address your qualifications for graduate study in social work, your academic readiness and work performance and proficiency.
- Criminal History Form.pdf
- Provide one copy of all transcripts.
- Provide a resume or vitae.
Send complete application materials to:
Department of Social Work, DBH 122
One University Circle
Turlock, CA 95382
All application materials must be postmarked or in the office by February 28, 2015.
If you cannot access the Adobe PDF forms, please contact the social work department to request a printed copy.