Insurance - Personal Property

Personal property brought to the campus by employees, students, and visitors is not covered by insurance. Departments can purchase insurance to cover losses or damages to musical instruments, fine art, personal computers, laptops, camera and video equipment, and other miscellaneous property and equipment. Students renting equipment for course projects can also purchase coverage. The University does not require the purchase of insurance for University property. However, some departments or units may want to insure specific pieces of equipment that have a high value and a high risk of loss, would be difficult to replace or would be difficult to fund the replacement, and for equipment rented or loaned to the University. This insurance offered through CSURMA insures against all risks of direct physical loss or damage, except perils specifically excluded, which include mechanical failure, fraud, rust, corrosion, repairs, normal wear and tear, war, flood, earthquake, unexplained loss or mysterious disappearance. Certified and non-certified acts of terrorism are covered.

Item Deductible Rate (per $100 of value)
Musical Instruments $1,000 0.74
Fine Art $1,000 0.38
EDP (less than $1mm) $1,000 0.82
EDP (greater than $1mm) $10,000 0.16
Laptops $1,000 1.62
Camera Equipment $1,000 3.89
Misc. Property $1,000 0.83

Please contact Risk Management for a rate quote if you are interested in purchasing this insurance. Provide the following information:

  • Description of the item(s) to be insured
  • Value of the item(s) to be insured
  • Length of time the item(s) need to be insured (for fine art, include the time in transit, if applicable)