Financial Aid Programs

Determining Financial Aid Need or Eligibility

The financial aid application you submit allows a processor for the U.S. Department of Education to apply a standard formula to the information you have provided and determine you eligibility for financial aid. Contribution (EFC) number, the amount you and/or your family are expected to contribute toward your education.

When we receive all application materials required for your file, a counselor reviews the application in a process called "need analysis". In need analysis, income an set information from both the student and the parent is reviewed, an the EFC is subtracted from the costs of attendance for one academic year. The remainder is the amount of financial need/eligibility for financial assistance.


What is it?

Scholarship funds are provided and administered by a variety of sources both on-campus and off-campus. Due to the large number of programs and requirements involved, specific payment dates are not always predictable. Your disbursement schedule shows approximate amounts for each academic term. When funds are received and requirements are met on a timely basis, scholarship checks are made available the week before the Fall and/or Spring Semester.

Will I have to pay it back?

No, scholarship awards do not have to be repaid.

How do I apply for scholarships?

Please visit the Scholarships Information section of the Financial Aid web site for all application information and scholarship listings.

Federal Pell Grant (PELL)

What is it?

Pell Grants are awarded to undergraduate students to pay for their education. In some cases, you may receive a Pell Grant if you are attending a post-baccalaureate teacher credential program.
Will I have to pay it back? A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid.

Is the Pell Grant available to undergraduates only?

No. Pell Grant is available for some students enrolled in a program which does not lead to a graduate degree but is required to obtain a 1st Teaching Credential.

If you are in the credential program, have your bachelor’s degree, do not have a preliminary credential and are not seeking an advanced credential, you may qualify. Students deemed eligible for the Federal Pell Grant by meeting the Estimated Family Contribution thresholds and program requirements will be awarded.

How much is a student eligible for?

Amounts can change yearly.  For the 2014–15 award year (July 1, 2014 to June 30, 2015), the maximum award will be $5,730. The amount you get, though, will depend on:

  • Your financial need
  • Your cost of attendance,
  • Your status as a full-time or part-time student, and 
  • Your plans to attend school for a full academic year or less. 

You may not receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time.

Cal Grants

What is it?

Cal Grants are need-based grants provided by the State for California residents. When students file a FAFSA and GPA Verification Form by the March 2 deadline, they will be considered for Cal Grants. NOTE: Renewal Cal Grant recipients are only required to file a FAFSA and list the school they intend to enroll in.

Will I have to pay it back?

No. This award does not have to be repaid.

State University Grant (SUG)

What is it?

The State University Grant is a need-based program designed to specifically help California State University students with paying fees. Candidates for this program must be California residents and be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program.

Will I have to pay it back?

No. This award does not have to be repaid.

What are the qualifications for this Grant?

Students with an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) between 0 and 7000 and meet the residency and program requirements are eligible to receive a State University Grant.  Students must have filed their FAFSA by 3/2/14.  Students that are Cal Grant eligible will not be awarded the State University Grant.  Students must be enrolled at least half time in order to receive the State University Grant.  Credential students must be enrolled in credential courses in order to receive the State University Grant.  SUG will be prorated based on enrollment.

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

What is it?

SEOG is assistance for undergraduate students who are enrolled at least half-time and demonstrate exceptional financial need. Awards range from $250 to $500 per academic year.

Students that have an EFC between 0 and 2000 and have filed their FAFSA by 3/2/2014 are eligible to receive funding from SEOG.  Funds are limited.  Students will be funded until we award all available funds.  Students must be in at least 6 units in order to receive the grant.

Will I have to pay it back?

No. This award does not have to be repaid.

Educational Opportunity Program Grant (EOPG)

What is it?

This program provides funding to a limited number of full-time undergraduate students who are admitted through the University’s Educational Opportunity Program. Grants range from $500 to $800 per academic year. For more information regarding the Educational Opportunity Program.

Students that have an EFC between 0 and 4000 and have filed their FAFSA by 3/2/2014 are eligible to receive funding from the EOP Grant.  Funds are limited.  Students will be funded until we award all available funds.  Students must also be a part of the Educational Opportunity Program.  Students must be in at least 6 units in order to receive the grant.

Will I have to pay it back?

No. This award does not have to be repaid.

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

What is it?
Employment during the academic year. Jobs are located on or off campus. Wages are at or above the federal minimum. Students are encouraged to earn their wages monthly throughout the academic year.

Students that have a FAFSA filing date of 3/2/2014, express interest in the FWS program on their FAFSA, and have a need of $3500 are eligible for funding.  Funds are limited.  Students must be at least half time in order to receive FWS.

Will I have to pay it back?
No. Students under this program earn the Federal Work-Study award by working. The total amount you may earn depends on the amount of your work-study offer and the number of hours you work per week (20 hours maximum).

Federal Direct Loan Program

What is it?

These are low-interest variable rate (capped at 6.80%) loans made by participating lenders to undergraduate or graduate students who are enrolled at least half-time. Annual limits range from $3,500 to $20,500.

Will I have to pay it back?

Yes. Repayment of both principal and interest will begin 6 months after termination of half-time enrollment status at a minimum of $50 per month.

What are the different types of student loans?

Subsidized:  For students with demonstrated financial need, as determined by federal regulations. No interest is charged while a student is in school at least half-time, during the grace period, and during deferment periods.

Unsubsidized:  Not based on financial need; interest is charged during all periods, even during the time a student is in school and during grace and deferment periods.

How do I apply for a Stafford Loan at CSU Stanislaus?

To apply for Federal Direct Loans, you must:

  • Receive a Financial Aid email notification
  • If you are a first time borrower, complete the mandatory Loan Counseling requirement. Details are included in the loan packet or are available upon request.
  • Be enrolled in coursework at least halftime. Note: wait listed courses do not count!

Accept your loan on your MyCSUSTAN account.

Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

What is it?

This is a low-interest loan available to the parents of dependent students. PLUS eligibility is not based on need. A parent with good credit history may borrow the entire cost of attendance minus any other financial aid. These loans are made by participating banks, savings and loans, credit unions, etc.

Will I have to pay it back?

The parent borrower is responsible for payment of this loan. Repayment of principal and interest begins approximately sixty days after receipt of the loan.

How does a parent apply for the parent loan at CSU Stanislaus?

To obtain a PLUS: The student must file the FAFSA, be admitted to the University, receive a Financial Aid Award notification, and enroll at least halftime. The parent applicant may apply for the loan on-line.

Federal Perkins Loan

What is it?

A low interest (5%) loan for undergraduate or graduate students who must demonstrate exceptional financial need. CSU Stanislaus is the lender. Depending on your financial need, the availability of funds and the amount of other aid you receive, you may borrow up to $4,000 per undergraduate or $6,000 per graduate school year.

Will I have to pay it back?

Yes. Repayment of principal and interest begins 9 months after a person graduates, leaves school, or drops below half-time status.

How do I receive a Perkins Loan at CSU Stanislaus?

  • Accept your loan on your MyCSUSTAN account.
  • Sign your master promissory note on your MyCSUSTAN account.

Other Types of Financial Aid

Cal-Grants TCP (Teacher Credential Program)

Cal-Grant TCP is for students who were Cal-Grant A or B recipients as undergraduates and plan to enroll in a Teaching Credential Program. Eligible students are required to have a Bachelors Degree, file a FAFSA for the academic year for which they plan to receive benefits, and complete a Request for Cal-Grant TCP Benefits form (G-44). Eligible recipients should apply for TCP benefits after receiving their bachelors degree and after being formally admitted to the teaching credential program.

CSU Graduate Equity Fellowship

These fellowships range from $500 to $2500. Students must file the financial aid application before the March 2 deadline and demonstrate need. Complete a CSU Stanislaus scholarship application, be admitted to the University and to a graduate degree program (i.e., be classified or conditionally classified), be a California resident for fee purposes, and maintain satisfactory academic progress with at least a 3.0 grade point average.

Short-Term Loans & Conditions

These funds are available to all registered students to help meet emergency educational and living expenses. Some restrictions are applied to loan amounts. Applications for the Short-Term Loan Program are available in the Financial Aid office.

Conditions listed below are the conditions of the Short-Term Loan Program. Please read carefully.

  • Applicants must be registered students in order to apply for a short-term loan.
  • Requests should be to meet emergency or unexpected school related expenses.
  • No student will be allowed two concurrent short-term loans, nor more than one per semester or two per year.
  • If it is necessary to request an extension of the repayment, you must come in PRIOR to the due date. Failure to do so could result in the denial of further loans. If justifiable, one extension per year may be allowed, not to exceed the end of the present term. A late fee of $20.00 (Twenty Dollars) will be added when repayment is not made by the stipulated due date. You will be considered in default once the due date is passed, and your loan may be turned over to a collection agency.
  • Students whose loans reach thirty days past due will not be eligible for further loans.
  • University services (registration, transcripts, etc.) will be withheld from any student who has an unpaid financial obligation. In addition, if you withdraw from school your loan will be due immediately.
  • All outstanding short-term loans will automatically be deducted from financial aid pay-outs.
  • Applicants must have a firm and realistic repayment source.
  • Processing of a loan will take from 5 to 7 working days. Once processed, the check will be available after 3:00 PM at the Cashiers Office.
  • You may pick up and repay your short-term loan at the Cashiers Office, located in the Mary Stuart Rogers Gateway Building, Room #100. (map & location)
  • Incomplete or illegible short-term loan applications will be denied.
  • Loans need to be fully repaid within 30 days from the date of application.

Teach Grant

Conditions: In exchange for receiving the TEACH Grant, the student must agree to serve as a full time teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students. As a recipient of the TEACH Grant, the student must teach for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing the program of study for which they received the TEACH Grant.

IMPORTANT: if the student fails to complete this service obligation, all amounts of the TEACH Grant that the student received will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan. The grantee must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education with interest accrued from the day the grant(s) was disbursed.

Teach Grant Eligibility Requirements

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), although you do not have to demonstrate financial need.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Be enrolled as a post-baccalaureate, or graduate student in a post-secondary educational institution that has chosen to participate in the TEACH Grant Program.
  •  Be enrolled in coursework that is necessary to begin a career in teaching or plan to complete such coursework. Such course work may include subject area courses (e.g., math courses for a student who intends to be a math teacher).
  • Meet certain academic achievement requirements (generally, scoring above the 75th percentile on a college admissions test or maintaining a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25)
  • Sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve.
  • For more information please visit:

Withdrawing and Return of Title IV funds: 

Students who need to cancel their registration or to withdraw from all classes after enrolling for any academic term are required to follow the university's official withdrawal procedures. Failing to do so, may result in an obligation to pay fees as well as the assignment of failing grades in all courses and the need to apply for readmission before being allowed to enroll in another academic term.  

Students who receive financial aid funds must consult with the Financial Aid office prior to withdrawing from the university regarding any required return or repayment of grant or loan assistance received for that academic term or payment period.  

Students who withdraw or cease to be enrolled prior to the end of a payment period and have received Federal or State aid must have a Return of Title IV Funds calculation performed or a pro-rata adjustment to their aid.  This calculation if performed by the Financial Aid Office. A student begins earning Title IV funds on the first day of attendance.  Therefore, if a student withdraws before a school’s census date, CSU Stanislaus will perform a Return of Title IV funds calculation using the number of days the student attended.  A student that withdraws from all units before the first day of school is not subject to Return of Title IV funds calculation all federal and state funds are all canceled and returned to the programs.