The Center for Portuguese Studies exists to promote the study of the Portuguese-speaking world: language, history, culture, and influence. The Center works to enrich the connections between the local Portuguese community and its cultural and linguistic heritage and to forge new connections between countries of the Portuguese-speaking world and California's Central Valley. The Center sponsors scholarship, exchanges, language programs, and cultural activities.
- CSU Stanislaus Portuguese Studies program support
- New courses and fellowships to incorporate Portuguese-related materials into existing courses
- Promotion of scholarship on the Portuguese community of California and on Portuguese-speaking countries
- Distance delivery of Portuguese language courses within the California State University system.
- Development of K-12 curricular units on Luso-Americans—their language, history, and culture—and teacher training to help elementary school teachers use the material.
- Public lectures on scholarly topics related to Portugal
- Activities which celebrate traditional Portuguese culture
- Liaison between the Portuguese program at CSU Stanislaus and other Portuguese Studies centers in California and the U.S.
- Liaison between the university and the Portuguese community
- Donations to the Portuguese collection in the CSU Stanislaus library
- Scholarships to students for Portuguese study
- Student exchange with Portuguese universities
- Partnership with the Portuguese Ministries of Education and Foreign Affairs to Coordinate Portuguese Language programs in the Western United States, including hosting a Coordinator of Portuguese Programs appointed by those Ministries.