A Message from the ASI Governmental Affairs Administrator
This year the State of California has cut the CSU system by $750,000,000. Due to these cuts, students throughout the state have been experiencing changes that may cause a delay in the time it takes a student to graduate or even deny access to a higher education. This fall 2012 all CSU Stanislaus students bared a tuition fee increase of $498. The CSU system is facing an additional $250 million budget cut in November if voters reject Gov. Jerry Brown's tax measure which would have imminence consequences.
The Warrior Street Team is a committed force on campus that strives to let the student voice be heard by our elected officials. We work closely with the California State Student Association (CSSA) whose mission is to maintain and enhance access to an affordable, quality public higher education for the people of California, to the California State University (CSU). The Street Team is challenged with lobbying the 6 state legislators whose districts represent the majority of the population of CSU Stanislaus. For a list of legislation the Warrior Street Team follows that would have an impact on students, click here.
It is extremely important for students and their families to get involved during this time to convince the legislature that cutting the higher education budget is not the answer to California's economic crisis.
Ways to get involved:
- Attend social and political events – talk about this issue (especially how it's impacted you personally).
- Follow the actions of the California State Student Association (CSSA) who are the voice of all 412,000 CSU students.
- Write a letter to Governor Jerry Brown stating your feelings about the budget cuts and how they have affected you (bring it to ASI and we will send it for you)
- Call your local legislator and ask them to support the higher education.
- Most importantly, register to vote and vote on Election Day!
If you would like more information about upcoming events or information on how you can get involved, please contact me.
Governmental Affairs Administrator
Associated Students, Inc.
California State University, Stanislaus
One University Circle
Turlock, CA 95382
Contact your Legislators
Contact your Governor