Task Three: Assessing Learning
In this task, students will describe an actual classroom; select a unit of study, standards, and a lesson; and then identify two focus students: an English learner (EL) and a special needs (SN) student (who must be document as special needs [SN] with an IEP or be documented as gifted and talented). Students will assess the whole class and document students who scored high, mid, and low on the test, along with collecting data from the two focus students. Students must sign the Honor Code form before submitting this task.
- Permission slips are needed for the two focus students and for the students who scored low, mid, and high on the exam.
- English learner (EL) should be low to intermediate in proficiency
- Special needs (SN) student must be documented as special education, 504, or designated gifted/talented.
- Students will need access to state adopted curricula and assessment tools (if available)
- Assessment data and the assessment tool used must be collected.
TPA Candidate Handbook and Video Tutorials
Candidate Handbook links open a pdf file from the CTC website; Handbook Video links open a video tutorial (video length in parentheses).
TPA Handbook Videos: Chapter 5 (30:56)
Task 3 Benchmark.pdf
Benchmark Video Tutorials (requires CSU Stan login)
Assessing Learning - Task 3 Template
This link opens the CTC website. Find the "Tasks and Rubrics" area, then scroll down and select the "Candidate Task" for "Assessing Learning," (this is Task 3). A window will pop-up and ask you to open or save the document, be sure to save it to your computer or flash drive.
TPA Permission Slips
copy language from T4 page when available
Task 3 Support
The TPA staff is able to assist with document scanning by appointment. You may also scan and upload documents on your own.
Scanning Documents (Video) (14:04)
TPA Submission Process