1. What is the purpose of the goal and its relationship to the academic mission?
- 1.1 To enhance the delivery of faculty instruction by on-going support of faculty in areas of faculty development in technology, pedagogy & learning, and instructional techniques, both general awareness and discipline specific
- 1.2 To support faculty in their research and professional writing efforts
For Staff and Managers:
- 1.3 To support university employees in their continuing professional development as the ?Employee of Choice?.
- 1.4 To ensure that university employees provide the highest quality service to students and campus community.
- 1.5 To ensure that university employees are recognized and valued as highly competent and competitive both on campus and in their future career endeavors.
2. How does the goal impact and engage members of the campus community?
For All University Employees:
- 2.1 Builds cross-discipline and cross-departmental valuing and appreciation.
- 2.2 Promotes retention of employees and facilitates new recruitments.
- 2.3 Promotes a climate of success and effectiveness.
- 2.4 Creates strong networks across all levels of the university community through shared learning experiences.
- 2.5 Provides opportunities for individual career development.
- 2.6 Ensures excellence of instruction at all levels of university teaching and in all teaching structures from classrooms to labs to seminar settings.
- 2.7 Provides on-going assistance, support, and guidance for faculty throughout their tenure and promotion cycles.
- 2.8 Provides opportunities for collegial mentoring and/or coaching elements as a means of providing assistance and guidance, especially for junior faculty, or for faculty wanting to improve their instructional delivery or knowledge of technology.
For Staff and Managers:
- 2.9 Ensures employees possess the highest level of professionalism and state-of-the art skills and abilities in order to provide:
- Efficient/quality services to the campus community
- Continuous opportunities for improvement and promotion
- Organizational consistency in how services are provided
3. What are the objectives or outcomes necessary to achieve this goal?
- 3.1 Skills enhancement and supportive maintenance and cross-training.
- 3.2 Creation of a ?community of learners? via common or shared learning experiences.
- 3.3 Organizational consistency and support (faculty & staff).
- 3.4 Valuing the roles and responsibilities of all campus colleagues.
- 3.5 On-going financial commitment to professional development and learning.
- 3.6 Planning and scheduling of training sessions that foster participation.
4. In light of current budget restraints, which objectives are critical to the success of the goal?
- 4.1 Continued funding support.
- 4.2 Providing essential professional development that fosters success in the designated area of faculty or staff focus.
- 4.3 Providing structured learning experiences for all new employees on core skills.
- 4.4 Encouraging shared learning experiences with faculty/staff/management in common areas of need thus insuring effective use of campus resources.
- 4.5 Continuing opportunities for open dialogues on campus changes and experiences.
5. How will the goal be evaluated?
- 5.1 Participant evaluation of workshops and structured learning opportunities.
- 5.2 An increase in numbers of participants availing themselves of the professional development opportunities.
- 5.3 An enhanced sense of self-value and engagement with colleagues across the university community.
- 5.4 The retention and advancement of faculty through the RPT process, both departmental and university-wide.
- 5.5 Students’ academic growth and growth in programs.
- 5.6 Increased scholarship and independent and/or collaborative project work, research or writing.
Staff and Managers:
- 5.7 Assessment of job performance goals and job-related professional development and advancement.
- 5.8 Assessment of departments’ specific core training to further enhance professional development.
- 5.9 Performance appraisal process.
- 5.10 Annual formal goal setting.
- 5.11 Management’s commitment to support this program.
6. When will the goal be achieved?
- 6.1 A commitment to learning and professional development is on-going.
- 6.2 Learning is an on-going process for the campus community of learners. Varied degrees of achievement are attained when faculty and staff feel empowered.
Draft Committee Reflections: 2/10/03
Sub-committee on Professional Development