The University advising mission at California State University, Stanislaus is to provide current students academic advisement that is accurate, consistent, and timely so that students can develop meaningful educational plans compatible with career and life goals. In support of the University’s mission, the Department of Sociology and Gerontology provides academic advising and support to assist students in achieving their life, educational, and career goals.
ADVISING RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Advising is a partnership. Students and their advisors share the responsibility for academic planning. The advisor and the student must prepare and participate in the advising process.
- Familiarize yourself with your degree progress report. Your degree progress report is a personal record of your academic progress. To get to your report, go to your MyCSUStan Student Center. Degree Progress link is to the left of your schedule.
- Familiarize yourself with the CSU Stanislaus course catalog
- Familiarize yourself with sociology and gerontology majors and minors, including GPA requirements and courses.
- Make an advising appointment well before priority registration.
- Check your myCSUStan account for official college and CSU notices. This is the university’s official means to communicate with you. All departmental and university information, notice of changes are sent via official university email and/or text messaging systems.
- Pay attention to university dates and deadlines.
- Familiarize yourself with your rights under the FERPA regulations.
- To minimize impact on your academic success, notify your advisor in the event of an emergency or if there is an expectation of failing a class.
- Advising is a partnership. Build a rapport with your advisor—we are here to help you.
- To listen.
- To adhere to FERPA Regulations.
- To assist with appropriate course selections in the major, minor and electives.
- To explain options for Sociology majors in line with your interests and goals.
- To assist in understanding the College of Humanities and Social Sciences and university rules, regulations and procedures.
- To discuss your career goals and provide you with guidance.
- To refer you to other campus and college resources as necessary.
The following tools and links are provided to help you plan for your advising appointment: