Student Leadership Retreat
Download: 2013 SLP Brochure.pdf
The objective of the Student Leadership Retreat is to prepare CSU, Stanislaus students for leadership roles within the community and beyond. The SLR provides a sequential learning experience designed to identify and foster individual leadership potential and civic responsiveness in students. The SLP combines effective leadership training with integrative service skills training to equip students with the essential tools needed to meet the personal and societal challenges of the new millennium.
The California State University, Stanislaus Student Leadership Retreat offers an opportunity for a select group of students to develop their understanding and appreciation of leadership development and skills. Students selected for the program will commit to the Summer Institute Program, July 30-August 1, 2014.
During the program students will:
- Gain confidence and experience in leading and interacting with others within diverse group settings
- Explore various leadership theories and styles
- Identify their own leadership style(s) and personality style
- Develop and incorporate team building and critical thinking skills
- Engage in a community service project
- Participate in social activities with other program participants
- Challenge their abilities, thoughts and understanding of self and others
Are you up for a challenge? Want to develop your skills as a leader? The CSU Stanislaus Student Leadership Retreat offers a select group of students the opportunity to develop their understanding and appreciation of what it means to be a leader:
- Develop confidence in their ability to interact with others
- Identify their own leadership and personality styles
- Develop critical thinking and teambuilding skills
- Challenge their abilities, and gain an understanding of themselves and others.
To earn a Student Leadership Program Certification, students are required to complete the Student Leadership Retreat. Upon completion of this requirement, SLR students will receive their certificate, be honored at an awards reception, and be eligible to complete an online leadership certification course.
Certified Student Leader: Group Fundamentals This online course delivers some of the most important lessons in effective leadership, gleaned from the best practices of successful organizations worldwide:
- Conducting effective meetings
- Spearheading strategic planning
- Leading with integrity
- Embracing diversity and difference
- Transitioning leadership
- Planning and publicizing events
All currently admitted CSU Stanislaus students in good academic standing (2.0 minimum GPA) are eligible to apply. Application deadline is July 18, 2014. Students currently holding or planning to pursue campus leadership positions (Associated Students, Inc., Student Organization Officers, Resident Advisors, etc.) are strongly encouraged to apply.
July 30-August 1, 2014
Students who are accepted in the Student Leadership Program must attend the Student Leadership Retreat. The Retreat will include a welcome session and orientation, workshop presentations from campus community leaders and exciting activities. Food and lodging on campus are also provided.
Summer Institute Itinerary
July 30 ....Check-in to the Village (8:30 am), campus and community leaders workshops and presentations.
July 31 ....Teambuilding activities / workshops & closing sessionRafting down the Stanislaus River
Aug. 1 ...Rafting down the Stanislaus River
- Communication Skills
- Leadership in a Diverse Society
- Ethical Decision Making
- Management Meetings
- Program Planning
- Values Clarification
- Leadership styles
- Vision and Goal Setting
- Community Leadership
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Gender and Leadership
- Civic Engagement
- Personality Assessments