Procedures and Guidelines
Student Reseach Links:
The Student Research Competition promotes excellence in undergraduate and graduate scholarly research and creative activity by recognizing outstanding student achievements. First, second, and third place winners at both the undergraduate and graduate levels of the 2013 CSU Stanislaus Student Research Competition will receive cash prizes. For each category- First place will be awarded $500, second place will be awarded $250, and third place will be awarded $100. Top presenters will advance to the system-wide 27th Annual CSU Student Research Competition to be held at CSU Pomona on May 10-11, 2013
Deadline for submission is Friday, February 15, 2013 by 4:00 PM.
Students present their research work before a jury and an audience. Each student has ten minutes to present their work and three minutes to listen and respond to juror and audience questions. All entrants may use audio-visual materials as appropriate, and presenters are encouraged to use delivery techniques that promote interaction with the audience.
Entrants in the Creative Arts and Design category may present an audio and/or visual record of a performance they have given or a work they have created; their oral presentation should focus on the rational and historical context underlying their interpretation of material.
At the local competition and the CSU system-wide competition, the student’s presentation and written summary will be judged according to the following:
- Clarity of purpose - 15%
- Appropriateness of methodology - 15%
- Interpretation of results - 15%
- Value of the research or creative activity - 15%
- Ability of the presenter to articulate the research or creative activity - 15%
- Organization of the material presented - 15%
- Presenters ability to handle questions from the jury and general audience - 10%
Who May Apply
Undergraduate or graduate students currently enrolled at CSU Stanislaus, as well as alumni/alumnae who received their degrees in spring, summer, or fall 2012 are eligible. A student must be nominated by a faculty mentor. The research presented should be appropriate to the student’s discipline and career goals. Proprietary research is excluded. There will be separate undergraduate and graduate categories. Presentations from all disciplines are invited. Students will specify one of the following categories for their presentation:
- Undergraduate or Master's Natural and Social Sciences Quantitative
- Undergraduate or Master's Art's Humanities, and Social Sciences Qualitative
Note: Individuals with mixed methods design should select the social science category for which s/he wishes to emphasize in the presentation. Also note that individuals from the MA/MS Interdisciplinary Studies Program should select the graduate category that best fits her/his research.
How to Apply
Applications for submission for CSU Stanislaus 2013 Student Research Competition are available in the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs located in the Mary Stuart Rogers Building, Room 250. The deadline for submission to the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs is Friday, February 15, 2013 at 4:00 PM. Submissions should include the following:
- Student Research Competition Application Form.pdf
- Four (4) copies of the narrative. Each copy must include the name of the student and the title of the presentation. The narrative may not exceed five (5) double spaced pages.
Use a font size of Times Roman 12 point or equivalent size and one inch margins on the top, bottom, left, and right of the paper.
- Appendices (bibliography, graphs, photographs, or other supplementary materials), not to exceed three (3) pages.
It is expected that the student will not make an oral presentation by simply reading directly from the summary.