If you see a fire or smell smoke, immediately call 9-1-1 and/or activate the nearest fire alarm. You may also use the emergency blue light call boxes to contact the Police (Turlock Campus).
If the fire is small and you are trained, you may choose to use a fire extinguisher or a building fire hose to put it out provided ALL of the following conditions are met:
- The fire alarm has been activated
- All occupants have been evacuated
- If the fire is small (waste basket size) and has not spread
- You have the correct type of extinguisher
- Your exit is clear and you can extinguish the fire with your back to the exit door
- When you hear an alarm, walk to the nearest exit notifying others of the fire on your way.
- Go to an evacuation gathering area away from the building then wait for further instructions. See: Evacuation Gathering Areas Map
- Immediately notify University Police or Firefighters on the scene if you suspect someone may be trapped inside the building.