Roles & Responsibilities of Interpreters & Captioners
Print Friendly: Roles & Responsibilities of Interpreters & Captioners.pdf
California State University, Stanislaus’ Disability Resource Services (DRS) office provides communication support services for registered students for academic related activities. DRS hires interpreters/captioners for the purpose of providing an effective accommodation to a student, which enables them to achieve their academic goal(s). The following roles and responsibilities help define the policies and procedures of interpreters/captioners. A “statement of agreement” needs to be signed by each interpreter/captioner, which confirms that they have read and understood the policies and procedures.
- Interpreters/captioners are instructed to wait 20 minutes for students before leaving. If a student is a no-show, you must contact DRS immediately, by completing a “No-Show Form,” which needs to be turned it into DRS or by e-mailing DRS at the following addresses firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com for tracking of non-attendance. Services will be canceled after 3 no-shows in the same class and will not be resumed until the student contacts DRS to re-instate services.
- If a student is a no-show or the service is cancelled in less than 24 hours, you will be paid for a minimum of two hours of work or the scheduled class and/or event, which ever is greater.
- If you are notified 24 hours or more in advance that your scheduled interpreter/captioner services are not needed, you will not receive payment for this cancellation.
- Interpreters/captioners that are scheduled for a class, event, workshop, etc. must contact DRS when team interpreting is requested. DRS has the sole responsibility to schedule team interpretation and it is not the responsibility of the interpreter/captioner or student.
- Please keep in mind that you will be paid for a minimum of two hours of work for each scheduled interpreter service provided or the scheduled class and/or event, which ever is greater. The cost of parking permits/parking fees will not be reimbursed.
- If you are providing interpreter/captioner services to more than one student at a time, you will only be paid per the event/class.
- It is student’s responsibility to contact DRS if there is a need for additional services outside of the classroom and not the interpreters/captioners. These additional services may include study sessions, class preparation, workshops, and/or speech preparation. DRS has sole responsibility for scheduling and hiring of interpreters/captioners.
- Interpreters/captioners will be notified before the beginning of each semester for availability and scheduling of services. Services will be provided for class instruction and possibly during finals if the student requires services.
- Timesheets must be turned in to DRS no later than 10:00 a.m. the day before the end of the pay period. If you are providing interpreter/captioner services on the last day of the pay period, please have your timesheet turned into DRS by 10:00 a.m. the following day. The payroll calendar can be viewed on-line at: http://www.csustan.edu/HR/
- Please notify DRS within a minimum of 2 weeks if you need to cancel/change a scheduled interpreter/captioner service. If you are sick or an emergency arises, please notify the DRS office immediately. If it is after hours, please leave a message on the departments voice mail at (209) 667-3159.
- If there are any problems that may arise while providing interpreting/captioning services, please notify DRS immediately.