Psychological Counseling Services
How to Take Exams
Keys to Any Exam
- Read and understand the question first.
- Know the weighting of exam questions, and put more energy into questions with more weight.
- Beware of time:
- Focus on questions weighted heaviest
- Before test begins break the test down into time segments that correspond with weighting
- If there are pertinent facts or formulas that you are afraid you will forget, then write them down (i.e., do a "brain dump").
- Find out if you will be penalized for guessing:
- If you will not be penalized for guessing:, NEVER LEAVE ANY QUESTION BLANK.
- If you will be penalized for guessing:, then you need to decide your "calculated level of risk." For example, on a multiple choice question with 4 possible options, it would probably be worth guessing if you can narrow down your options to 2 -- i.e., you have a 50-50 chance of guessing correctly.