Psychological Counseling Services
Definition of Assertion:
- Allows people to express honest feelings comfortably.
- To be direct and straightforward.
- To exercise personal rights without denying the rights of others and without
- experiencing undue anxiety and guilt.
The Non-Assertive Personality
- Fear of displeasing others.
- Fear of rejection and retaliation.
- Wants to be liked so much that they are willing to sacrifice their own self-respect
- Won't speak up because they are afraid of being wrong or embarrassing themselves.
- May not be able to identify their own strengths.
- Develop 100 reasons for not acting on their desires.
- Communicates indirectly.
- Dishonest communication.
- Unclear concept of social reality.
- Worries about worrying.
- Learned wrong way behavior.
- Have difficulty being assertive with their own children.
- May feel anxious because they don't stand up for themselves.
- Expend a lot of energy avoiding conflicts, manipulating others & denying responsibility.